Apple Watch, 1Password sync and passcodes

TheRealRichii
TheRealRichii
Community Member

I've been through some of the other threads on this, but can't seem to find a solution that works...

I have a series 3 Apple Watch, running watchOS 4.0.1. 1Password 6.9 running on an iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11.0.3. Opening the 1Password app on the watch shows the infamous "Requires Apple Watch passcode" message. I have a (long) passcode set.

I've removed the app from the watch, turned off watch support on the phone side, and removed all the items from the watch sync. Rebooted the watch and re-installed. No change. There must be a way to make this work!

1Password Version: 6.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.0.3 / watchOS 4.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @TheRealRichii,

Two last things:
    you've turned on Enable Apple Watch inside of 1Password's settings?
    you either have a 1Password.com account or you purchased the Pro features In App Purchase?

Rudy

• TheRealRichii
    TheRealRichii
    Community Member

Hi Rudy,

Enable Apple Watch = on

I'm in both camps, long time paid app user, and have a subscription.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TheRealRichii: Does your iPhone have a password as well, or just the watch? Have you tried marking a new item with "Add to Apple Watch"? If you're still having trouble, please do the following:

1. Connect both the Apple Watch and iPhone to power
    2. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, scroll down to 1Password, and set "Show on Apple Watch" to the off position
    3. Open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Apple Watch and set "Enable Apple Watch" to the off position
    4. Wait for it to stop saying "Uninstalling..." (this may never happen, but give it 5 minutes and then move on)
    5. View the apps on your actual Watch and if it is gone (in some cases, even those that completed "Uninstalling..." still show up)
    6. If it's still shown there, hold your finger on it and then tap the (x) (this may not work either)*
    7. Regardless, hold the pill-shaped Side Button on the Watch and Power Off (you'll need to disconnect the power temporarily to do this)
    8. Then, after backing up any local vaults and ensuring you know the Master Password, uninstall 1Password for iOS from your iPhone, hold the iPhone's Lock Button, and Slide to Power Off
    9. Power on both the Apple Watch and iPhone
    10. Verify that 1Password is not shown on the Apple Watch, that this is reflected in the Watch app on the iPhone as well (if not, go back to the beginning), and that 1Password is not shown on the iPhone either
    11. *Install a fresh copy of 1Password on the iPhone, and in 1Password Settings set "Enable Apple Watch" to on
    12. In Watch on the iPhone, go to 1Password and set "Show on Apple Watch" to on
    13. Wait for the app to finish Installing...
    14. Add a new item to Apple Watch by toggling the option in its details.

*Others have found that reinstalling 1Password for iOS and restarting the iPhone (hold Wake/Sleep and Home) helps, but be sure to backup your data first if you're not using a 1Password.com Account.

Let me know how it goes! :)

• TheRealRichii
    TheRealRichii
    Community Member

Looks like the “remove from phone and reinstall” might have done the trick. I’d done everything apart from that with now joy, but seems to be working now.

Cheers @rudy and @brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thank you for letting me know! Yeah, it seems like apps don't always update properly on the watch, or perhaps end up damaged there for some reason (probably because I get impatient when they are trying to install/sync!) Glad that installing a fresh copy there helped. Cheers! :chuffed:

• joeylongs
    joeylongs
    Community Member

I have tried this method a half dozen times. Still says”requires Apple Watch passcode.” I can not find a workaround anywhere.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joeylongs: Did you follow all of those steps exactly? I've had to do that (or something similar) with a number of apps and it's worked every time. Other 1Password users have had the same result.

Certainly if you haven't added any items to your Apple Watch in the first place you'll see the same thing. Without any information it's hard to say why you might be running into this issue.

• joeylongs
    joeylongs
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, I followed those steps to the T, however, I’m ashamed to say that after reading your response, I did not add items to the Apple Watch. I assumed I would have accessibility to all of my vault. Once I looked further into the app and added logins of my importance, I had a facepalm moment. Thank you for your quick response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi Brenty, I followed those steps to the T, however, I’m ashamed to say that after reading your response, I did not add items to the Apple Watch.

@joeylongs: Ah, sorry for the confusion there. :(

I assumed I would have accessibility to all of my vault.

We definitely don't want to do that, as that becomes unmanageable remarkably quickly. But that's not an unreasonable assumption. It's difficult for the watch app to know why it has no data, hence the cryptic message, but we'll see if there's something we can do to help there.

Once I looked further into the app and added logins of my importance, I had a facepalm moment. Thank you for your quick response.

You're totally welcome! I'm glad something isn't actually broken, but I do want to apologize for the trouble that misunderstanding caused you. :blush:

In case it helps you or anyone else, we have more information about 1Password for Apple Watch in our knowledgebase:

Use 1Password on your Apple Watch

Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.