To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Trying to set up 1password on new Windows laptop. Need help

wdoxford
wdoxford
Community Member

Program is asking for secret key. I don't have one. I don't know what my account status is with IPassword. I have a long license key, but no other info.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Trying to set up 1password on new Windows laptop. Need help

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wdoxford - A Secret Key is part of the security of 1password.com accounts. If you're using 1Password with local data and a standalone license, you don't need a Secret Key because you don't need a 1password.com account.

If you're using 1Password for Windows and the application is asking you for a Secret Key, that's because you downloaded 1Password 6 for Windows. Version 6 is indeed the most-current version, but it only works with 1Password accounts (which require a Secret Key, which is why you're being asked for one). If you want to sync or create local 1Password data, you'll need to use the older 1Password 4 for Windows, which is the most-current version that works with local vaults and standalone licenses. The upcoming 1Password 7 for Windows will work with both, but for now, uninstall version 6 and use version 4. Sorry for the confusion.

This discussion has been closed.