To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

One device gives me access using the password I have used for years

kenoli
kenoli
Community Member

One device (an imac computer) gives me access using the password I have used for years. All other devices require the password I created when I set up the new subscription settings, the password I need to log onto my online 1password account.

The computer is linked to the cloud account.

?????

--Kenoli

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1password server

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Hi there @kenoli :)
    If you have a standalone Primary vault on your Mac (the one you used before you made the new subscription account), 1Password will keep requiring the Master Password for that vault to unlock instead of the one used for your subscription account. You will have to delete that standalone vault from your Mac to fix that.

Have you already migrated the contents of your old vault to your new 1Password account? If not, do so using the instructions I linked. If you have, you can delete that vault by going to 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault. Remember that this will delete the vault and everything in it, so make sure everything has been migrated properly before doing it.

Once deleted, 1Password will switch to using the Master Password you set for your subscription account.

Hope that helps. Have a great rest of your weekend. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kenoli: Indeed, it sounds like you're still using an old local vault on that device. Don't migrate the data there if you already have on another device, as you'll end up with duplicates. If you sign into 1Password.com in your web browser do you already have all of you data there?

• kenoli
    kenoli
    Community Member

Thanks for the responses. I think they give me what I need. I will try to work things out tomorrow and come back with a report.

Thanks again,

--Kenoli

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Definitely let us know if you have any questions. We're here for you! :)

• kenoli
    kenoli
    Community Member

So I did all of this on my MacBook Pro, i.e. moved missing items to the Personal vault and deleted the Primary vault. It asked me first to enter my old password and then to enter my new password. Now when I open 1password there is no vault and no items.
    When I log into 1password.com in a browser, the Personal vault is there with all the items. (incidentally, the MacBook Pro used to log in with the new password and show both vaults.)

What gives? How do I connect 1password to my personal vault? When I go into 1password preferences, it shows that the app is connected to my account.

I did save a backup of the old vault I was using in case everything went south.

On one of my iPhones, which used to work correctly, when I now (since making the changes on MacBook Pro) try to go to my personal vault, it says it has been removed. On my other iPhone, which logs in with my new password, it shows a very truncated list of items, apparently from some mystery vault.

I have 2 imacs. The are both currently logging in on my old password and show both the primary and Personal vaults. I'm afraid to delete the Primary vault for fear then they too will have no access to my data.

What gives?

I rue the day 1password started this subscription thing. I was happy buying every upgrade and living with a vault on my dropbox. I actually tried to keep doing this and ran into trouble with that as well. So I gave in to the subscription thing and now I am, essentially without 1password.

Please help.

--Kenoli

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@kenoli
    That's strange, but considering the data is all there in the web app, could you check something for me?
    Check the Preferences>Accounts tab on 1Password. Is your account listed there? If not, add it.

Cheers. :)

• kenoli
    kenoli
    Community Member

That's what's strange. It is there. Can I somehow delete it and re-add it?

• kenoli
    kenoli
    Community Member

I just tried to re-add it and 1password says that account is already added.

• kenoli
    kenoli
    Community Member

There's some ghost in the machine.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@kenoli you can remove it by pressing the - button on the account page.

• kenoli
    kenoli
    Community Member

I've tried removing the account and adding it and there are no items or and vault. The vault is there when I log onto the site.

• kenoli
    kenoli
    Community Member

This is getting big time frustrating. Months trying to get this software to work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kenoli: I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately with so little information it's hard to say how you've got things setup and what needs to be done to help you get things sorted out. I was going to ask you for some diagnostic information, but I see that Laura has already requested that from you two days ago and never heard back. The back and forth between email and forums is not only confusing, but it slows to the support process down for everyone. I'll close this discussion and we can continue working with you there. Please send those at your earliest convenience so we can help.

ref: VAB-28394-487

This discussion has been closed.