1Password 6 beta keeps crashing [Fixed, coming soon]

m_w
m_w
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm having real problems with the current Windows beta version as 1Password constantly stops working.

I keep getting errors like this:

You should see loads of crash reports from me that I submitted in the last days.

I can't tell you which version I'm running as every time I click on the settings icon I get this error message (see above). But it should be the latest beta of 1Password 6.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: Windows 7 Enterprise
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• Hi @m_w,

Thanks for reporting this.

Did you copy your 1Password database from another computer by any chance?

It is crashing because it is missing the correct local device's Windows account encryption key.

We have a fix implemented already for the next beta update but I don't have an ETA on its release. For now, you can fix this by renaming the data folder and signing in again, here's how.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT - I've been using 1pwd for many years and therefore the DB would have been copied a number of times whenever my (work) laptop was refreshed. The last time this happened was about a year ago I think. So I don't think this can be the issue here.

Anyway, let me try your fix ...

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

I applied your fix and will monitor how it works from MON onwards when I will use my laptop again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! Let us know. :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

That seems to have worked as I haven't had the issue all week :-)

• I'm glad to hear that, thanks for the update.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@MikeT, @brenty - I'm seeing 1P6 crash a lot, especially when unlocking.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kop48: Which version are you running, and did it just start after you updated?

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@brenty 6.8.BETA-469 - it was on a previous version. I'm not seeing crashes recently.

• Hi @kop48,

Did you submit the crash reports? We only received two reports from the previous beta update and one is mine. The other one was from a different user.

If it happens on the next beta update, please let us know. We have many fixes coming for the next beta update, including the ones that has been submitted and the database protected with another machine's encryption key crasher.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

Yup, I've been submitting all of my crash reports. :)

• Hi @kop48,

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, it'll include the most recent crashes. So far, I cannot find any crash reports from you unless your forum profile's email address is outdated.

Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

Sent!

• Got it, thanks. At first glance, there are no crashes reported there. We'll reply to your email as soon as we figure out what's going on there.

ref: ESL-88614-831

This discussion has been closed.