1Password unable to upgrade to 6.7.442 - Error with installer, code:32

Options
pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade to 6.7.442 and each time I run the update from within the 1Password 6 app, I get the error in the attached setup.png.

The only antivirus I'm running is Kaspersky Total Security 2017. I'm running Crashplan & Macrium Reflect, but I'm not sure if they would interfere with 1Password. I've also closed all browsers before updating.

I recently had similar problems updating the Vivaldi browser on my PC, so I think something is preventing some apps from updating on my system, but I'm not sure what?

Any help appreciated. Paul.

1Password Version: 4.7.441
Extension Version: 4.6.8b1
OS Version: Windows 10 Creators x64
Sync Type: 1Password Family Account

Comments

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I just opened 1Password and apparently the automatic updater has worked its magic, and updated the app without my assistance. I'd still like to know why I was getting the initial code 32 error, but at least I know I can rely on the automatic installer, when manually updating fails.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbryanw: That's great! Thanks for the update.

Hmm...I didn't mean that to be a pun.

Anyway, it's hard to say for certain, but we've seen antivirus software lock the files (scanning them, I guess) and curing updates to fail in the past. But I'm really glad to hear that the autoupdate came through for you in the end. It's pretty persistent. :chuffed:

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@brenty - Knowing my PC, it's probably one of the many file-syncing & backup programs I have on here. I've also just been reading how Resource Monitor can be used to find which process is locking a file so I'll try that next time it happens.

And thanks again for your reply & help :chuffed: :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, that makes sense too. Now that you mention it, I'm surprised it that doesn't happen to me more often. Cheers! :)

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I've kept having this problem for the last few beta updates (relying on automatic update to work its magic). I looked in Process Explorer when I was having the error 32 code with Agilebits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe (I have attached a screengrab of this) and it appears a system process (pid 4) is the only one keeping 1Password open.

I did a little bit of a Google search for locked files and system pid 4, but it appears there's a lot of things that could be causing this lock error, and I don't really know where to begin :blush:

Would it help if I sent in my System Diagnostics or 1Password log files. Any further help appreciated :+1:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @pbryanw,

Unfortunately, this isn't something that'll show up in 1Password logs because it is an external factor, something is using the same process that 1Password is trying to close before replacing it.

PID 4 could be anything, your AV, backup tool, system update process, etc. Unless you're running a very detailed system trace analysis like ETW, it is going to be extremely difficult to pinpoint this. My only suggestion is excluding 1Password from all the tools you have, there's no need to back up the app folder, so you just need to exclude %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app folder.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT - Thanks, I think I'll start scaling back my use of online backup programs (and make sure that I'm not backing up the 1Password %appdata% folder in any of them) which is probably long overdue on my system anyway. I'll also take a look at my background processes/services to see if I can spot any culprits. Thanks again for your help & quick reply :+1:

• MikeT
    Options

Please let us know if you find the tool that was doing this, so we can test it on our machines and work with the vendors to improve our compatibility with their tools.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi, I think I've found what was causing this, so time to resurrect this old thread :chuffed:

It turned out it was (probably) Crashplan for Home. I recently moved to BackBlaze, because Crashplan is shutting down its home operations. I then reinstalled the latest 1Password 6 stable, as before I had the app folder in "C:/Program Files (x86)". I manually upgraded to the latest 1Password 6 Beta from within the app, and everything went smoothly (to my surprise), with no errors reported.

I'm only 80% sure it was Crashplan though, because there have been some updates to Macrium Reflect in the meantime, which was my other suspect. Also, I hadn't selected the 1Password folder in %appdata% to get backed up by Crashplan, but I think it may have been because I had other folders in %appdata% backed up by Crashplan, that led to this locking error.

I will continue to monitor for the next couple of 1Password updates, but hopefully this is now fixed for me (and might explain why other apps located in %appdata% weren't being updated too) :chuffed: :+1:

• Hi @pbryanw,

Thanks for the update!

That would make sense.

I do use Reflect and that has never caused any issues for me, so it is sounding like Crashplan may be the cause.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbryanw: Not real helpful, but I thought I'd should mention I'm using CrashPlan on my PC and haven't encountered this. That said, I have very little in the way of user data that gets backed up (that stuff is small, and the big stuff like games doesn't need to be backed up), so this is probably not a useful data point. I have had a similar problem on my Mac though with CrashPlan running. I doubt it's attributable to anything in particular, just a matter of "luck" with something trying to update something else that's currently in use. Just my two cents. :)

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

@brenty - I think in all honesty, you’re probably right :+1: I don’t know about others, but I’m constantly changing, tinkering and updating apps on my PC. When I think about it, it could be the recent Fall Creator’s update that did it, or changing from Kaspersky to ESET recently.

I just wish problems like this did have simple answers :chuffed: That said, I suppose the main thing is that it appears to be working fine now, and I’m hoping it was Crashplan that was the culprit for me :+1:

[Off-topic] Would be interested, if you’re a Crashplan Home user on PC, whether you are moving to a Business account or giving an alternative a go? Backblaze, while good enough for me, doesn’t have the versatility or the restore options of Crashplan - I think it will be sorely missed by its users.

• @pbryanw: I'm glad everything seems to be working now. Personally, I'm happy with fixed, whether I understand how I got there or not. :wink:

I'm not a CrashPlan user myself, so I'll leave that to @brenty, but I can say I've seen more than a few sad faces in our chat lately about their ditching the Home plan, so you're definitely not alone in feeling that's a tough hole to fill. I hope you find a suitable replacement! :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty - I think in all honesty, you’re probably right :+1: I don’t know about others, but I’m constantly changing, tinkering and updating apps on my PC. When I think about it, it could be the recent Fall Creator’s update that did it, or changing from Kaspersky to ESET recently.

@pbryanw: Yep, that sounds like me, so I guess it makes sense that we've had similar experiences. :lol:

I just wish problems like this did have simple answers :chuffed: That said, I suppose the main thing is that it appears to be working fine now, and I’m hoping it was Crashplan that was the culprit for me :+1:

Me too...but I think we're going to have to resign ourselves to continue having "interesting" experiences from time to time so long as we keep tinkering. haha

[Off-topic] Would be interested, if you’re a Crashplan Home user on PC, whether you are moving to a Business account or giving an alternative a go? Backblaze, while good enough for me, doesn’t have the versatility or the restore options of Crashplan - I think it will be sorely missed by its users.

Not doing it yet on my PC (I'm paid for another 6 months or so), but I've setup Backblaze on my other machines and like it so far. Honestly, I do not miss CrashPlan's Java client. I hear ya: this is not as versatile, but I keep pretty busy tinkering with other stuff than backup these days. Cheers! ;)

This discussion has been closed.