Invalid File Import v 3.6.2 to 1Password using ios 10.3.3

lorisgbertoldo
lorisgbertoldo
Community Member

I'm getting an invalid file message trying to import my data from v3.6.2 to 1Password. I successfully transferred the .ptbackup file via itunes to my iphone 5 ios 10.3.3. Prior to getting the invalid file message I get the Import file locked, the file you are trying to import is encrypted with a password. Please enter Master Password to decrypt its contents.
Which password is this? is it the old v3.6.2 or 1Password as there was no password request when i created the backup file from v3.6.2 and Ive tried both with no access?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:transferring data from v 3

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lorisgbertoldo: It will be whichever Master Password you set in the app from which you exported that backup. When initially using 1Password 3, you setup a Master Password. On an iPhone, you would be prompted to create a 4-digit "unlock code" and a "Master Password" (iPads only used a Master Password). There's a good chance these are different, but only you will know. The Master Password is needed to decrypt the data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• lorisgbertoldo
    lorisgbertoldo
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, I retrieved my Master Password from 1Password 3, created a new backup, transferred it successfully via itunes to my iphone5 and imported it. However still getting this message.
    Invalid file you are trying to import is not in a format 1Password can understand. The backup file extension is *.1ptbackup. Perhaps only a latter version of v3.6 is transferrable?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lorisgbertoldo: 3.7.2 is the "newest" version of 1Password 3 on iOS, so it's possible that would be a better option. You should be able to install it from App Store > (Updates >) Purchases. I would try that first, especially on a device where you do not have 1Password 3 installed already (so you do not have to delete it). The "invalid file" error, however, seems to be a false positive (negative?) in some cases, and simply trying repeatedly (or trying with a new backup of the data) might work. But if the Master Password is not correct, none of that will matter. Do you still have the app with your original data somewhere?

This discussion has been closed.