1Password still expecting password from file based vault after upgrading to family account

Options

Greetings! My wife and I have been using 1Password for some time, and of course, we love it :) we used to use file based vaults that we synced via google drive, but some time ago upgraded to using family plans.

The other day, I realized my wife was still using her password from her old, file-based account, that she made herself, instead of the password she generated for her family plan, i.e. 4 random words separated by dashes. We have been trying to figure out how to change 1Password to use her family password, with no luck. Our attempts have included 1) Removing the file based vault 2) Uninstalling and re installing 1Password from scratch. Unfortunately, 1Password still only accepts her password from the file based vault, not the family vault, even though only the family vaults are now the only vaults available/listed when she's in.

I assume we're missing something fundamental here, but I've done some googling, and haven't been able to find what seems to be my exact case, nor a resolution for it, for the windows version of 1Password.

Sorry ahead of time if we missed something obvious!

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Family Plan

Comments

• Hi @bunz4u,

Thanks for writing in.

Are you saying that if you open the main 1Password 6 program, it unlocks with the old local vault master password she had before but it does show your 1Password Families data, right?

If yes, we haven't restore the ability to manually change the master password for the local database password yet but it is coming in a future update. Right now, it is based on the original account or local vault added to 1Password 6. It does detect when you change the master password for the 1Password account on 1Password.com web app and update it as soon as you sign in with the new password but not if the first one was a local vault.

For now, you can recreate the local database and sign in again, here's how.

• bunz4u
    bunz4u
    Community Member
    Options

"Are you saying that if you open the main 1Password 6 program, it unlocks with the old local vault master password she had before but it does show your 1Password Families data, right?"

Yes that's exactly correct.

We went ahead and followed the instructions from the link you gave us, and it worked! Thanks for the help. I feel like you guys should mention this workaround more formally somewhere in an FAQ. If you guys have, then I must have missed it.

Thanks again!

• You're welcome.

We've stopped allowing the local vault to be added first a long time ago, so that you must add an account first. That's why there is no workaround listed as it isn't available to everyone.

In upcoming 1Password 7 for Windows, local vaults will be fully supported and this won't be a problem anymore.

• bunz4u
    bunz4u
    Community Member
    Options

That sounds good. Thanks again for the help.

• I'm glad you and Mike were able to sort things out, @bunz4u! :+1: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.