How do I fix this problem:1Password opens on my laptop, but then closes immediately when I try to us

Options

I have 1Password on both my desktop (Apple) and my laptop. It is working fine on my desktop, but not on my laptop. When I open 1Password, it opens immediately. Then when I try to use it, it closes spontaneously. What should I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password opens on my laptop, but then closes immediately when I try to use it.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Bob_Reisfeld! Can you tell us a bit more? What version of 1Password for Mac are you using on your laptop? What do you mean when you say "when you try to use it?" Do you mean when you enter your Master Password? After you enter your Master Password and 1Password opens, but when you try to click on something? When you try to use the browser extension? Something else? Thanks in advance for the clarification. :)

ref: BED-42457-583

• Bob_Reisfeld
    Bob_Reisfeld
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me. I have 1Password version 3.8.22 ("build 32101"). When I bring up the application from my dock, I type in my password and the "door" unlocks and opens. The screen that opens is one my "notes." When I try to click on anything in 1Password, no matter what I enter, the application quits and I get a message that says "1Password" quit, and asks me if I want to report it. HOWEVER, when I open 1Password from the "Key" at the top of my Safari page, I am able to use 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bob_Reisfeld - that's going to be the issue, then -- version 3.8.22 is a very old version of 1Password for Mac. In fact, I'm going to move this thread to a different section that's for legacy versions.

What version(s) of OS X or macOS are you using on both your desktop and your laptop?

• Bob_Reisfeld
    Bob_Reisfeld
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I didn't realize you had responded earlier. On my Laptop, I am using Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. On my Desktop Mac, I am using OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.6

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bob_Reisfeld: Sorry for the trouble there! The reality is that 1Password 3 was designed in 2009 for OS X Snow Leopard and Lion, so it is not compatible with recent macOS versions. Even when it does work, there are some real limitations, especially with regard to browser integration:

1Password 3 legacy support information

The best thing to do would be to sign up for a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the latest 1Password apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.