To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

If I have my master password to open 1Password, but no secret key...

Options
tylerdperez
tylerdperez
Community Member

So, i'm attempting to Install 1Password on another device.. However it's asking me for my secret key? I've been a long time 1Password user, and I guess I must have lost my secret key. I can still login to my 1Password App on my Mac & my iPhone, with the master password.

I found the instructions to locate the Secret Key, however my account information is not there? http://look.influx.media/nWow

What should I do from here?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Version 6.8.3
OS Version: macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• jimarnall
    jimarnall
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same question.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The secret key only exists if you have a subscription (also referred to as an account). Long time users may have a licence, which does not have a secret key associated with it.

As you have been using 1PW on Mac and iPhone, I would guess that you sync using Dropbox or iCloud. In that case, on your new device, you should be able to start 1PW, and then choose "I have used 1Password before" and when asked where the data is point at Dropbox or iCloud. I haven't done this myself for ages, so I am not sure of the exact procedure, you can try for yourself with my hints, or wait for more precise instructions from someone with more knowledge.

There are lots of good resons for moving to a subscription, among them that it is much easier to install on anew device, but some people just don't like subscriptions, or don't want any data stored outside their local network.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, as danco mentioned, you'll only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you have been using 1Password without an account and never setup sync, there are a few different options:

1Password sync options

Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.