To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Need help setting up 1Password on new iPhone

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: License/Account trouble.

Comments

• GeeDubYa
    GeeDubYa
    Community Member
    Options

I am upgrading my iPhone to a new iPhone and I'm trying very hard to work with your security protocols.

I have saved my Secret Key from my last purchase of 1password.

I have a password I have been using for 2-3 years to successfully access ALL my protected passwords and information.
    Question? Is the password I have been using to access ALL my apps on ALL my computers & tablets the MASTER PASSWORD.

It doesn't appear to me to be the master password because I can NOT add 1Password to my new iPhone with the information and which presently provides me with access ALL my valuable data on my existing computers tablets, and phones.

This happened to me before with 1password. I had to purchase new account with a new email. Then I spent hours and hours transferring data to my new account.

Most importantly, If I can access ALL my info using 1password on my apps, why do I need this 3rd password (referred to in your forum as the MASTER PASSWORD) to transfer the info that I have access to presently but can't transfer to a new iPhone without purchasing another license and starting all over because I didn't understand what I was suppose to save when I bought your license 3 or more years ago?
    It doesn't make sense unless you know your software is so great that less geeky people like myself will continue to pay and repay for software that is is so convenient to use until you have to transfer info to a new computer or phone.

I understand some of your customers have very valuable info to protect but the next time you design a 1password application there should be a page we can print out with all the info I'm going to need the next time I need to add another hardware device that uses your software.
    Or ADD HINTS when we don't remember that MASTER PASSWORD we used ONCE 3-4 years ago if the customer needs some help. If the user doesn't want to add a hint for their passwords they can leave the hint info blank.

Rant over...I need some one to explain more about his master password. When did I first need to add a MASTER PASSWORD. How I am going to easily transfer 100's of passwords, notes, docs, and vault info I have access now to a new license that it appears I'm going to have to purchase with yet a third email account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

Question? Is the password I have been using to access ALL my apps on ALL my computers & tablets the MASTER PASSWORD.

@GeeDubYa: Not necessarily. It depends on how you set things up. We recommend using a single Master Password, but we can't stop you from using different ones in different places.

It doesn't appear to me to be the master password because I can NOT add 1Password to my new iPhone with the information and which presently provides me with access ALL my valuable data on my existing computers tablets, and phones.

This happened to me before with 1password. I had to purchase new account with a new email. Then I spent hours and hours transferring data to my new account.

I think you may be confusing "account" with something else. You cannot purchase an account. It's part of a 1Password.com membership, which is a subscription. No matter what, though, you will need to have your Master Password to access your data. There's just no way around that.

Most importantly, If I can access ALL my info using 1password on my apps, why do I need this 3rd password (referred to in your forum as the MASTER PASSWORD) to transfer the info that I have access to presently but can't transfer to a new iPhone without purchasing another license and starting all over because I didn't understand what I was suppose to save when I bought your license 3 or more years ago?

A license for a single version of 1Password is in no way associated with your data or a Master Password you choose to protect it.

It doesn't make sense unless you know your software is so great that less geeky people like myself will continue to pay and repay for software that is is so convenient to use until you have to transfer info to a new computer or phone.

You can continue to use a license you've purchased for that version indefinitely; or you can continue using a 1Password.com membership as well. However, in either case, to access your information stored in 1Password, you will need a copy of the data and the correct Master Password (and other credentials, in the case of an account) to decrypt it.

I understand some of your customers have very valuable info to protect but the next time you design a 1password application there should be a page we can print out with all the info I'm going to need the next time I need to add another hardware device that uses your software.

We have that: the Emergency Kit is what we recommend everyone use to print and keep in a secure location, like a safe deposit box. But you can also access your account details (other than the Master Password) in any of the apps/browsers you've authorized, under 1Password Settings/Preferences > Accounts.

Or ADD HINTS when we don't remember that MASTER PASSWORD we used ONCE 3-4 years ago if the customer needs some help. If the user doesn't want to add a hint for their passwords they can leave the hint info blank.

No. Hints will help someone else guess your password too.

Rant over...I need some one to explain more about his master password. When did I first need to add a MASTER PASSWORD. How I am going to easily transfer 100's of passwords, notes, docs, and vault info I have access now to a new license that it appears I'm going to have to purchase with yet a third email account?

Unless you've really lost/forgotten your Master Password (or other important account credentials), there's no need to do that. Do you have your 1Password data accessible on one of your devices currently?

ref: CUM-17211-158

• GeeDubYa
    GeeDubYa
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying unsucessfully to configure a 1password app on my new iPhone X.
    I have 1password on several computers, tablets and iPhone.
    I know the Master Password and can type it in correctly on all my other 1password apps.
    I know the SECRET KEY and can cut and paste it to my new iPhone.
    I can use the QR code to transfer my email and Secret Key to the new iPhone.
    BUT EVERY-TIME I type in my MASTER PASSWORD, the new app DOES NOT accept that info!!!!
    I strongly believe all my Email, Secret key and Master Password is correct.
    My head is about to EXPODE! What am I doing wrong NOW?

• GeeDubYa
    GeeDubYa
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Brent, Thanks for the prompt and very helpful reply!

Since This Rant, I have discovered:
    a very old 1password password
    my SECRET KEY
    my [removed by AgileBits -- this is a public forum] email account
    allowed me to open a new 1password app on a new phone.

The same 3 allowed my to access my1Password.com account/Subscription.

So I have learned that one can have more than one MASTER PASSWORD! I apparently have 2.

And, only 1 of those 2 Master Passwords is specific to each of the different !password apps on different devices.

And, Even two apps using the same MASTER PASSWORD yield a different mix of passwords. Although Not Always.

Sometimes the same MASTER PASSWORD used on different devices mirrors perfectly but this is not always the case.

AND using different Master Passwords of course yields huge discrepancies and avoids proper updates.

So I would like to know how to merge all this data into ONE database file using ONE true MASTER PASSWORD common to all 1Password applications and match the my1password.com website login parameters.
    Thank you
    Gary

• GeeDubYa
    GeeDubYa
    Community Member
    Options

I am patiently waiting for a response to the previous comment.

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member
    Options

I must admit that I don't understand the issues you're having. I recently upgraded from an I-Phone 6 to the I-Phone 8. I simply selected 'Restore from i cloud' during the set up process on the I-Phone 8. Everything on my I-phone 6 was then downloaded to my I-phone 8. I tapped on the 1password app on the I-phone 8 and entered my master password and everything worked perfectly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I must admit that I don't understand the issues you're having. I recently upgraded from an I-Phone 6 to the I-Phone 8. I simply selected 'Restore from i cloud' during the set up process on the I-Phone 8. Everything on my I-phone 6 was then downloaded to my I-phone 8. I tapped on the 1password app on the I-phone 8 and entered my master password and everything worked perfectly.

@TDK1044: I'm glad to hear that. The unfortunately reality is that iTunes/iCloud backups do not always restore all apps and data. I've had that happen to me a number of times when moving to a new device. This is why we include a backup/restore feature in 1Password itself. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@GeeDubYa: Indeed, if you've chosen to use different Master Passwords in different places, I can see how that could lead to some confusion. We can't stop you from doing this, but I'll follow up with you via email shortly to get some information that can help us help you sort things out.

ref: CUM-17211-158

• GeeDubYa
    GeeDubYa
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Having multiple “Master” passwords should NOT be allowed in the design of 1password. Multiple MASTER passwords linked to the same Secret Key doesn’t make sense to me. There should only one Master password that can cut and paste between these other secondary passwords that are linked to the identical Secret Key. Seems like a HUGE design/logic error for me and personally is a huge head-exploding area when trying to understand the logic path of 1password’s design. ‘Master password’ tells most users there is only one unique password. “User password” would offer the user that there could be more than one password for the unique Secret key. 1password should prompt you that there is already a master password if a users tries to create anyanother master password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thank you. Having multiple “Master” passwords should NOT be allowed in the design of 1password. Multiple MASTER passwords linked to the same Secret Key doesn’t make sense to me.

@GeeDubYa: That's incorrect. A 1Password.com account has a single Master Password and Secret Key. You don't have more than one of those for a given account. Where you can have different Master Passwords is with different 1Password.com accounts or individual local vaults on your devices, which are not associated with an account. The app will unlock with whichever account or vault you setup first in the app.

There should only one Master password that can cut and paste between these other secondary passwords that are linked to the identical Secret Key. Seems like a HUGE design/logic error for me and personally is a huge head-exploding area when trying to understand the logic path of 1password’s design. ‘Master password’ tells most users there is only one unique password. “User password” would offer the user that there could be more than one password for the unique Secret key. 1password should prompt you that there is already a master password if a users tries to create anyanother master password.

What you're describing is not how 1Password works; it's an idea you've come up with yourself. We can't prevent you from creating multiple accounts and/or vaults with different Master Passwords. It's up to you.

I'm looking over the diagnostics you sent, and I'll close this discussion so we can continue via email.

This discussion has been closed.