Secondary account with own password doesn't unlock anymore

So, I use two accounts with different passwords, I don't know the password for the second one, it's in my main account.

If I login into the main account I always needed to open the secondary account and login with the right credentials, this was totally fine.
I had the second account under a favorite.

Since 0.9.0 the secondary account isn't unlocked anymore.
To unlock; need to remove it from Options, sign-out, sign-in and click the add button again in the upper right corner.

Expected behavior should be; open secondary account, sign-in and it's unlocked.
This is a real PITA because after locking the pc or time-out I need to re-run the above steps.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 0.9.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Here is the error thrown:

@onServerChanged: reloading item cache (***/***)
    background.js:1     bailing because we have been signed out already.
    background.js:1 background: port opened  b5-signin

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'isUnlocked' of undefined
        at ae (chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/background/background.js:1:816715)
        at Fe (chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/background/background.js:1:823690)
        at e.onMessage.addListener.t (chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/background/background.js:1:836173)
        at EventImpl.dispatchToListener (extensions::event_bindings:403:22)
        at Event.publicClassPrototype.(anonymous function) [as dispatchToListener] (extensions::utils:140:26)
        at EventImpl.dispatch_ (extensions::event_bindings:387:35)
        at EventImpl.dispatch (extensions::event_bindings:409:17)
        at Event.publicClassPrototype.(anonymous function) [as dispatch] (extensions::utils:140:26)
        at dispatchOnMessage (extensions::messaging:390:22)

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

Also, removing and re-adding doesn't ask for permission to be added again.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @srcoder,

Thanks for bringing this up, we greatly appreciate hearing from people who are using 1Password differently than we are.

I can't recall how long you've been with us in the beta program, but I'm sure you've seen we've changed how we handle multiple accounts a few times. At one point we were signing users into accounts automatically, but we've dialed that back to having accounts unlock based on the Master Password provided. Unfortunately, our changes keep throwing a wrench in your workflow, but your feedback has been invaluable along the way.

Our recommended solution to folks using multiple accounts is to use one strong memorable Master Password across all of their accounts.

Another option is to use different Master Passwords, but decide what account is needed when unlocking by entering that Master Password at the lock screen.

These two should definitely work, but it looks like you're trying to have both accounts unlocked, but use different Master Passwords (one of which you don't know). When we make some changes to prevent multiple of the same account from being added, we inadvertently made this a lot more challenging. Personally, I think this is a valid use case, so I'll take a look and see what we can do.

For:

That looks like a bug to me, and we will get that sorted out.

Thanks for your help!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

I've brought this to your attention in earlier releases, so I already went thru some quirkiness :-)

Definitely not looking for 1 strong master password for multiple accounts.
    Also not logging in into the second-/thirtairy accounts at times has it reasons!

How it worked in the 0.8.x versions was quite reasonable too me(maybe except for the long list of duplicates)

Thanks for the extended feedback!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome. I have two different ideas for making this work, one of which is the "have your cake and eat it to" ultimate solution. I have another task due today, but I'll add this to my todo list.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@srcoder: I'm circling back to this after checking some other bug fixes off my list.

When you said:

Are you talking about the notification that pops up asking if you want to add this account to 1Password for Chrome?

If so, I wasn't able to reproduce this on my end. Did you perhaps accidentally click the ignore button at any point?

Cheers!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

So we moved forward to minors, so can't reproduce all of it anymore...

Are you talking about the notification that pops up asking if you want to add this account to 1Password for Chrome?

I was talking about the question if it should be added to the extension(light-box, upperright), since 0.9.2 this doesn't happen anymore.
    This was in 0.9.0 done automatically.

It's still impossible to unlock the second account thought without removing and re-adding.
    Which also locks all accounts, so it works isn't a happy usecase.

Thanks for asking.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional information @srcoder. We haven't fixed this issue quite yet, but it's on the list and we will take a look at it very soon.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

I've updated to the latest 0.9.7 and this still exists, do you have an update for me, because I'm back to copy/pasting from the web secondary account. Or I need to remove and re-add every login :dizzy:

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Hey @srcoder,

No update or guarantees yet, but I'll see what we can do. :+1: :)

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

0.9.8 update :-)

• Open Settings/Options
    • Click remove on secondary (which doesn't remove it from the page, but it's removed)
    • Click "Add account"
    • Login and it's re-added (because you've already authorized it)

Automate this and we have a working solution ;-)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@srcoder: I managed to squeeze in the account removal for you, but it looks like you uncovered a sight but with the account list not updating. It looks like this only happens if the account is locked. Thanks for spotting that!

As for automation, I completely understand where you're coming from. I believe we can bring back unlocking an account that has a different Master Password soon!

Have a great week! :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• srcoder
    srcoder
    Community Member

I knew that, I loved to add it here for my own goods ;-)

Cheers and happy to help you out...

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.