Vault management best practice: Shall I copy or shall I move now?

Options

I've got over 650 items in my personal/business vault and have just signed up for teams as I need to start sharing some access as my team grows.

I get that I can control access to different vaults and that there is a funky travel feature.

But should I be copying items across or moving them? What is the best practice to organise vaults and logins. Are logins synched across different vaults.

Say I copy a login to a new vault. If the password is changed in one vault, will it change in both?
I presume I can give team members access to more than one vault, but is that also true for guests?

Just trying to work out the best way to organise the mess I've created over the years.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• Hi @LVincent,

Great question. We love it when people ask about best practices for these kinds of things. :)

Changes to items are not synced across vaults, so I would recommend that you move the item into a vault, then use access control to determine who has access to items within that vault. You should avoid duplication of items across multiple vaults as it becomes a bit of a bear to manage that way.

To give you a more concrete example, here at AgileBits we have a vault for each team/department. So there's a 1Password for Mac vault that contains all of the credentials that that team needs to share or have access to. We then give access to the vault to people that are part of that team. In a bigger organization the best way to accomplish that is with custom groups, so you would add the new employee to the Mac group, and they would automatically get access to any/all vaults that they need access to.

Let us know how your rollout goes, we're here to help in any way that we can.

Rick

• LVincent
    LVincent
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Rick that is really helpful. Now that I know that they don't synch I will get a lot more granular with the way I organise the vaults. I'll base them around task area. Thanks!

• That sounds like a good idea. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.