Email / WebMail Logins

Options

I have an email account. It supports IMAP and also has a WebMail interface.

If I create an entry of type "Email Account" then it isn't available in the browser extension for logging into the WebMail interface.

If I create an entry of type "Login" from filling in the WebMail login form, there isn't anywhere to record the IMAP server name, security protocol, etc.

If I create one entry of each type, then when I change my email password the two will drift out of sync and unless remember to update them manually I don't know which the correct password is.

Given that item types are all hard coded (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/31394/changing-item-types), you can't change the type of an entry (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/71973/change-type-of-item), and nearly 100% of systems I interact with (email or not, it's just that Email + WebMail is a good example) have a web UI somewhere, how is this supposed to work?

or, more constructively:

Please make web form login details available to ALL item types, and please make it possible to copy or merge the web form login details from one item to another. That way I can create an Email item with all my account details, capture the web form details of my WebMail account, and then copy the web details from the WebMail login item onto the Email item, remove the WebMail login, and have a single username and password recorded.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bencurthoys,

For now here is what I do. I save the username and password in a Login item and use the Email Account category for storing the IMAP specific details sans actual account credentials. It's not much but I find that it ensures I only have one source to update and it's in a useful item for whatever web interface is provided. It also cuts down on the number of Email Account items if I'm creating generalised ones for particular services e.g. gmail. It isn't ideal but for now it might help. I don't know what the future will bring us but maybe it will include something like this where we don't run into these hardcoded limitations of the various categories.

This discussion has been closed.