To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I can't sign in because I don't have a Secret Key that I can find. Help, please.

Options
annrast
annrast
Community Member

In trying to go to my account online in order to set up syncing from computer to my iphone, I can't sign in because I don't have or can't find a "Secret Key." Instructions are not correct in that when I go to "Preferences," there is no "Account" icon to select. Please help.
Ann

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I can't sign in because I don't have a Secret Key that I can find. Help, please.

Comments

• annrast
    annrast
    Community Member
    Options

In addition to the above request, I am still using Mavericks on my iMac as a couple of my software programs will not work on anything higher. I have 1Password 4 as well. I really would prefer to keep what I have but I just want to sync my iphone with my computer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@annrast: You will only have a Secret Key if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. Otherwise, you will not have that, or an account. While I'd encourage you to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data (you can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits — you can use the standalone 1Password app and sync your data from another device yourself if you prefer:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• annrast
    annrast
    Community Member
    Options

I bought a family membership a few years ago. Is that what you mean by a 1Password.com membership?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

I bought a family membership a few years ago. Is that what you mean by a 1Password.com membership?

@annrast: It doesn't sound like it. 1Password memberships of any kind did not exist until we introduced the 1Password (for) Teams beta almost exactly two years ago, so you are probably referring to a license you purchased. So unless you had signed up for one here — https://1password.com/sign-up/ — since then, you do not have an account.

In addition to the above request, I am still using Mavericks on my iMac as a couple of my software programs will not work on anything higher. I have 1Password 4 as well. I really would prefer to keep what I have but I just want to sync my iphone with my computer.

I just noticed you'd commented again while I was replying to your first post. Just to clarify, 1Password 4 (and Mavericks) is old and cannot work with 1Password.com accounts (or modern browsers going forward). If you're going to continue using outdated software, be aware that there are some limitations:

1Password 4 legacy support information

You may be able to sync that computer with your other devices using Dropbox, but it's likely that Dropbox will stop supporting Mavericks before long too, as Apple did years ago now. That may buy you some time though while you explore options for getting up to date. Cheers! :)

• annrast
    annrast
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, updating my OS from Mavericks to a newer OS is out of the question on this iMac. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer, it cannot handle El Capitan or higher as it will burn out the video card. This has already happened to one of our iMacs when it was upgraded to El Capitan so I don't want this one to be ruined as well. I'm not really in a position to buy a new computer because of the cost involved and also the fact that two of the software programs (possibly three) will not function on later OS versions--and I must have this software. Newer versions of this software is no longer available so I'm stuck. I don't know what to do.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

A bit OT but: may I ask what kind of iMac you have? I'm thinking of upgrading mine to El Capitan and it's a mid 2007 model currently running Lion.
    Concerning running legacy software: you could install Mavericks inside a virtual machine running on Parallels or Virtual Box and install the software you need there. Of course it depends on the kind of software you use. If it needs special hardware access, this could be a problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@annrast - I certainly don't want to guide you in the wrong direction nor am I qualified to speak as an Apple hardware tech. But I haven't heard anecdotally of upgrading to El Capitan on any qualifying Mac to cause burnout of the video card. I'm just wondering whether that's something that happened in one instance, not something to be worried about happening with similar setups? You might want to take your iMac in to an Apple Store and ask their thoughts, as they will certainly have seen your issue before if it's a widespread one.

I agree with @Manaburner - unless you have unusual hardware dependencies, you can usually run legacy software in a VM if necessary. I mention this only because if you aren't willing (or able) to upgrade to a newer version of OS X or macOS (or purchase a newer Mac), then the 1Password 4 for Mac legacy support information brenty linked to above will be the best we'll be able to do for you on that device. But it won't be only 1Password that has such issues: the longer you continue running an old OS on a similarly old, Mac, the more of what you want to accomplish using modern software will be unavailable to you. I wish that were not the case, but this isn't something specific to 1Password, it's the nature of the beast. I'd seriously investigate with Apple whether running El Capitan is a risk of causing the kind of damage you experienced on your other Mac, or if that was more of a one-off. Good luck!

• annrast
    annrast
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, updating my OS from Mavericks to a newer OS is out of the question on this iMac. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer, it cannot handle El Capitan or higher as it will burn out the video card. This has already happened to one of our iMacs when it was upgraded to El Capitan so I don't want this one to be ruined as well. I'm not really in a position to buy a new computer because of the cost involved and also the fact that two of the software programs (possibly three) will not function on later OS versions--and I must have this software. Newer versions of this software is no longer available so I'm stuck. I don't know what to do.

• annrast
    annrast
    Community Member
    Options

I took the other iMac to the Apple Store and they were unable to help me at all but suggested that was the problem because of the heat generated in using the newer OS. I'm no computer expert by any stretch of imagination (I'm 75 yr old grandmother) but I try to do my best. It was an additional technician that discovered that the Apple Store was correct in their assessment. If I didn't have to spend nearly $2k on a new computer, I would do that and just keep this older one for those few software programs that are required. It really is annoying that I have to keep spending money on "upgrades" when I am having no problems with the older stuff!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2017
    Options

@annrast

The unfortunate reality is that you can’t expect technology that is “frozen in time” to continue to be practical for more than a few years. It’ll eventually reach a point where even if the hardware is still functioning there will simply be too many incompatibilities with modern software to make continued use a realistic option for day-to-day usage.

That is without even getting into the security aspect of the difficulty of using older tech. I certainly wouldn’t recommend connecting any device running an OS that is no longer supported by the manufacturer to the internet.

I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer for you, but as time passes things are only going to degrade further. You may want to consider keeping the old machine around to run the specialized software, but investing in a new computer for day-to-day tasks, and disconnect the old machine from the internet.

In any event, we’re a bit outside the scope of 1Password support here. As Brenty mentioned for right now, as long as Dropbox supports Mavericks, you may be able to sync 1Password that way. Once that support is dropped it will not be possible to sync 1Password on the old machine any longer.

Ben

• annrast
    annrast
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your input. I had been thinking along the same lines of getting a new computer (as soon as I can afford it), and keeping this older one for those programs that I need. Thanks again. I'll muddle through somehow!

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

@annrast: Not sure how much it helps since they're still not cheap by any means, but I like Apple's refurbished stuff. It's more affordable both due to not always being the highest-end stuff and because, since they cannot sell it as "new" technically it's discounted — but includes a standard AppleCare warranty just as if it were new. Thought I'd mention it since I've been looking there myself. Cheers! :)

• annrast
    annrast
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for the tip. I'll check into it.

• asvaniya
    asvaniya
    Community Member
    Options

Aaa

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@asvaniya -- something we can help you with? :)

This discussion has been closed.