What is this subscription thing ?

apb123apb123 Junior Member

I have used 1password for years. I have just read something about this subscription pricing. I am a bit worried because I have a policy of never taking recurring subscriptions. I won't break my policy. Does this this mean I have to use another password manager in the future..?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

Your licence(s) will last as long as your version (or minor update) works on your OS. That's the absolute bottom line.

There will be major updates to 1PW at some point. I don't think AgileBits have formally stated whether or not there will be an upgrade pricing for existing licence holders. I am inclined t think so, but I am not an AgileBits employee, and your guess is as good as mine.

Presumably at some point a change in the OS will prevent your current version of 1PW from working. But until then there should be no problems. Even 1PW 3 works (but not well) on Mac OS X Sierra.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@apb123: Indeed, your existing license will never expire and you can use that version of 1Password for as long as you have a machine that can run it. And given that we don't have any new versions to announce, you'll still be receiving updates for the one you're using. If and when we do release something new, you can decide if it's worth paying for, or if you'd rather stick with what you have. Obviously we'd prefer that you upgrade, but it's up to us to offer you something valuable in exchange for your hard-earned money. Cheers! :)

• apb123apb123 Junior Member

Why not just offer both models. The subscription pricing and upgrade pricing.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@apb123: 1Password 7 doesn't exist yet, but given that we've already announced that it will support local vaults and 1Password.com, we may do just that when the time comes. It's simply too early to say. We need to build it before we can sell it at any price. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• I am a big fan of 1Password. I have convinced many, really many people to buy it. I am worry about the new subscription model. I don't like it. I have enough bills to pay every month to add even one more. I cannot recommend this software any more unless there is a clear statement from Agile Bits that they will continue offering the software as a pay once licence.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I am a big fan of 1Password. I have convinced many, really many people to buy it.

@jnavon: Thank you for your support, and for spreading the word! :chuffed:

I am worry about the new subscription model. I don't like it.

Why?

I have enough bills to pay every month to add even one more.

1Password.com memberships are not mandatory. You're welcome to continue using the version you've paid for.

I cannot recommend this software any more unless there is a clear statement from Agile Bits that they will continue offering the software as a pay once licence.

We've made several:

1Password 6.7 for Windows: a feature buffet

Why We Love 1Password Memberships

When it's released, 1Password 7 will be a paid upgrade supporting local vaults. Hope this helps! :)

• hi brenty, i found this thread after reading this article online, and was wondering about subscriptions in the future. Is a 1P membership the same thing as a 1P subscription, or is a 1P membership just another way to store and sync vaults? And what is a 1P account, in relation to a membership and a subscription? I've been using 1P since 2015, with no major issues, and I sync via a cloud service now - and everything works perfectly. All this noise is disturbing :)

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited October 2017

hi brenty, i found this thread after reading this article online, and was wondering about subscriptions in the future. Is a 1P membership the same thing as a 1P subscription, or is a 1P membership just another way to store and sync vaults?

@Hero Jig: 1Password.com memberships are a subscription service which uses an account to store encrypted data, so that all you have to do is sign into that account on each device to access your data; so there is no sync configuration or license management: everything is included.

And what is a 1P account, in relation to a membership and a subscription? I've been using 1P since 2015, with no major issues, and I sync via a cloud service now - and everything works perfectly.

If you're happy with the setup you already have, the only reason to subscribe to 1Password.com would be if you want additional features which are only possible there, such as automatic offsite backup, item history, and Travel Mode.

All this noise is disturbing :)

Can you elaborate? We've been pretty clear about how things work: you can keep using the version you paid for indefinitely, or sign up for a 1Password.com membership if you want the additional benefits. So I suspect the "noise" is coming from elsewhere. ;)

• I've also been using 1Password for years without any subscription (in fact I didn't even know a subscription service existed) and have encouraged my shared family members to start using it. My daughter just downloaded it and I noticed my card was charged for a subscription! How can she cancel the subscription and just use the program as I do per my paid family share plan?

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member
    edited October 2017

@mhervey: How she cancels the subscription will depend on how she subscribed (though us or through Apple). Could you ask her to send us an e-mail referencing this thread to [email protected] from the e-mail address she signed up with? She can feel free to include you in the chain as well, but we do need to make sure we're discussing the account with the owner. This will allow us to look up her account in our records and make sure we're giving you proper instructions.

One more thing to be aware of is that 1Password is now purchased via in-app purchase, so if you purchased 1Password via the Mac App Store originally, family sharing may no longer work for new installations of 1Password. Apple will not allow in-app purchases to be shared via Family Sharing, so do let us know in your e-mail whether you purchased from the Mac App Store. This way we can make sure she gets set up properly. :+1:

• Thanks for your reply. In fact she only downloaded within the last month via the App Store which I guess is why she was required to pay for a subscription. After reviewing the family subscription model in more detail, I'm thinking to have her cancel her individual subscription and I will purchase a family subscription to cover her and the others in my family that need to start using 1Password!

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@mhervey - that sounds great! A 1password.com subscription really is the best way to use 1Password for most people, and that goes double if you've got a family with whom you want to share data while each of you still retains his/her own private data. The best way to check it out for your self is to head over to the main 1Password Families sign-up page and create a 30-day free trial for yourself. Invite your family members, and you can all be on your way to an easier and more secure password experience. Let us know if you have any questions!

• xandermacxandermac Junior Member

"When it's released, 1Password 7 will be a paid upgrade supporting local vaults. Hope this helps!"

Reading between the lines this seems to indicate that dropbox syncing will not be support in full license upgrades?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I don’t know that. “Local vaults” are what we call non-1Password.com vaults. We also sometimes refer to them as “standalone vaults,” though we’re trying to get away from that. We haven’t made any announcements regarding syncing in 1Password 7.

Ben

• This morning I woke to find that my iPad no longer had a 1Password app. Grabbed my MacBook and Whew! my favorite app was there. Great. Until I found that it had morphed into “Subscription Mode,” AKA “stealth ransomware”. Now I’m back to shopping for a new means to protect my precious information. Too bad for me.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Jadebear: Sorry, I know ransomware, and that ain't it. 1Password doesn't delete itself, or "morph". If you purchased a license for 1Password, it seems like it would make sense to use that version if you don't want a subscription, rather than signing up for a 1Password.com membership. If you'd like help setting things up either way, just let us know.

This discussion has been closed.