Can't get autofill to work on my Android 7.0 device

rothenbergm
rothenbergm
Community Member

I can't get autofill to work on my Android 7.0 device (Galaxy S7 Edge). I've enabled the 1password keyboard but I don't get the buttons that offer to save my login info. Do I have to add the info MANUALLY for every site I visit? If I set it up on my PC, will that sync with the Android to save me at least that step?

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 7.0
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:autofill android 7.0

Comments

• ajawats
    ajawats
    Community Member

I'm also looking for the answer to your question. On my Galaxy S8, (which is Android 7) the autofill field says it requires Android 8 or later. I'd like to know if there is another way to use the app with Android 7.

• peri
    edited September 2017

Hi @ajawats and @rothenbergm. Autofill does indeed require Android 8.0. For earlier versions of Android, you'll need to save Logins manually, and use the keyboard for filling.

Indeed, @rothenbergm, you can use the browser extension to save items on Windows, and then sync with 1Password on Android.

• nazgul17
    nazgul17
    Community Member

Why is this the case? LastPass does provide the autofill feature, even if it is not super reliable. This is to say that it seems technically possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nazgul17: We used to do something different too, but when other options become available to us we go with the more secure one. In this example, that meant not using overlays and the global clipboard anymore, since any random app installed on your device can access that. And with Google's new Autofill framework and OpenYOLO, the possibilities are even secure-er. Cheers! :)

• nazgul17
    nazgul17
    Community Member

@brenty I see, that is fair enough. Though, assuming users of 1Password are security-savvy, it would be nice to leave the choice to use an insecure method to them. Since Android 8 is currently in beta, only a close-to-zero percentage of your users will be able to use auto-filling for the next 6 months. That makes for a quite poor experience on Android.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I see, that is fair enough. Though, assuming users of 1Password are security-savvy, it would be nice to leave the choice to use an insecure method to them.

@nazgul17: You can always choose to use the clipboard yourself. That's just not something we're going to have 1Password push on users since we've had more secure options for years now. And security-savvy 1Password users also skew toward tech-savvy Android power users, so this is right up the alley for many. :)

Since Android 8 is currently in beta, only a close-to-zero percentage of your users will be able to use auto-filling for the next 6 months. That makes for a quite poor experience on Android.

That's simply not the case. While you're correct that Android Autofill is limited to Android 8, the OS was released publicly months ago. More importantly, OpenYOLO is not limited to Android 8; it will work on all Android devices (4.1+) supported by 1Password so long as the app supports it. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.