1Password X and the future of apps.

I wonder if 1Password is taking a page from the LastPass guys and creating a 100% password experience with, if not there already, offline mode?

Gotta tell you, maybe it’s a little retro of me, but I do like the fat client approach for passwords.... just curious about roadmaps no one will comment on.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2017

The native clients aren’t going anywhere. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@AlwaysSortaCurious: I just wanted to chime in here to acknowledge that I had the same thought initially as well. I mentioned this already in another comment, but I figured others might have similar questions. We here at AgileBits have no intention of giving up our "fat clients" either, so this year we've been expanding into new areas so that we can all use 1Password in even more places. I'm not sure we can fit much more into 2017, as we're running out of time; but with 1Password X and the CLI app (and 1Password 7 on iOS!), I think we're in good shape heading into 2018. :chuffed:

P.S: We do have plans for an offline mode (and much more) in 1Password X, but it didn't quite make it into the 1.0 release. Keep an eye out for updates! ;)

• Ty for the extra comfort! lol.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi

I don't quite understand 1Password X. If Agilebits says download from Chrome, I thought Google deprecated Apps running inside Chrome? Where am I seeing 1Password X when if I search from it in play.google.com and Chrome Extensions site, I don't see it? Is 1Password X region specific or am I missing something?

https://blog.chromium.org/2016/08/from-chrome-apps-to-web.html

• @wkleem

1Password X can be had here:

1Password X

I’m not aware of any region restrictions.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Chrome Apps are deprecated, this must be a ridiculously large extension is my guess.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Yeah, I am still uncertain of the future as predicted (for 2018):

https://developers.chrome.com/apps/migration

"Chrome packaged and hosted apps will be discontinued on Windows, Mac, and Linux over the course of now and early 2018. For more information, refer to the August 2016 Chromium blog post. This transition does not apply to Chrome OS, where Chrome packaged and hosted apps will remain supported and maintained for the foreseeable future.

To transition away from a Chrome packaged or hosted app on Windows, Mac, and Linux, the following options are available."

• @AlwaysSortaCurious: 1Password X really is just an extension. Extensions are powerful things and can certainly blur the line. Hard to define exactly what constitutes an app these days. If I had no idea of the difference, I'd likely call it an app at first glance.

@wkleem: I can actually never find it searching either. Always have to find a link (I'll have to bookmark Ben's) whenever I have to remove and add it. I'll poke some folks and see if we can figure out what's up with that. :+1:

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

As MikeT mentions here:

There seems to be some misunderstanding as Google is only removing support for the underutilized Chrome Apps feature, which is not the same thing as Chrome Extensions.

1Password is a Chrome extension, it will not be affected by this.

That now includes 1Password X (there's a Chrome Web Store link for it in that article), in addition to the 1Password extension for Chrome. Neither are Chrome packaged/hosts apps that will be officially discontinued in early 2018.

This discussion has been closed.