will 1password pull your passwords from chrome and store them?

Im curious if 1password will import the saved passwords in chrome into 1password and store them or do i manually have to go in and save each password for all my sites? If it will pull data from chrome and i update a password in chrome will it update in 1password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:will 1password pull your passwords from chrome and store them?

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Jgood122,

Thanks for taking the time to write in - unfortunately we don't have an automated way of importing Chrome logins however I do have some steps I can offer that will allow you to manually import in a few minutes. There are pros and cons to using an automated import - the pro is that you get it all done quickly. However the con is that the Login items that are created may not work with useful features such as Go & Fill without a little bit of manual tweaking of the website field in the item.

Weighing the pros and cons, I would recommend importing using the following method and then if any Login items are giving you trouble recreate them using the save login manually feature.

Let's get to importing your Chrome logins :chuffed: I estimate it to be a 5-10 minute job. Please allow me to outline the steps below:

1. You'll need to temporarily enable exporting of Chrome username / passwords. By default this is disabled in Chrome.

To enable it open Chrome, enter the following text in the browser URL bar and hit Enter:

chrome://flags/#password-import-export

2. You'll now see a warning saying "Careful, these experiments may bite". This is OK - we are just enabling a single switch here to turn allow exporting.

On that page you'll find a setting entitled "Password import and export". Change the setting using the drop-down to "Enabled".

You'll see option to restart Chrome at the bottom of the page now. Please do.

3. Once Chrome restarts you'll now be able export by opening the password manager in Chrome. You can do this by entering the following text in Chrome's browser URL bar and hitting Enter:

chrome://settings-frame/passwords

4. Here you'll be able to see a list called "Saved Passwords". You should now be able to see a button called "Export" just below the "Saved Passwords" list. Click that button, enter your computer's password and then save the file somewhere easy to find. It will be saved as a CSV file - this is something 1Password knows how to import.

Important: Please note that this file contains all your passwords in plaintext so be sure to completely erase this file as soon as you've finished with it.

5. Now sign into your 1Password Account on 1Password.com. Once signed in, open the menu in the top-right hand side of the website and choose "Import".

On the Import page, click "Other"

6. Now you will be able to import your CSV file that was exported from Chrome.

As mentioned on the Import page, you can drag and drop the file from Windows Explorer / Finder on to this website to do the import.

7. Once this is completed, your import will be completed.

I hope that helps. Please let us know how that goes and if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• kyborek
    kyborek
    Community Member

Unfortunatelly according to this article https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/10/google-chrome-password-export-and-import/ the ability to export passwords is no longer available in Google Chrome since version 61. The option chrome://flags/#password-import-export is still there but it does nothing and the password page chrome://settings/passwords has no export button

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

That's sad, but not entirely unexpected. Exporting your data from the browser is a notoriously onerous process. Firefox used to have an API that could be used for this, but it is no longer available as of Firefox 57. Data portability is another reason to choose a dedicated password manager over storing passwords in your browser. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.