Why no edit in place for passwords on iOS?

vr8ce
vr8ce
Community Member

Why can we not edit password in place as on Mac (and presumably Windows, although I've never used it there)? For all intents and purposes, it makes it impossible to edit a password on iOS; there's no way to tell where you are.

If we tap in the password field while in Edit mode, it should show the password, just like it does on its bigger siblings.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.1.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vr8ce: It's a bit different since it's more difficult on iOS. We can use a secure field there for passwords, but there is no way to reveal them in place like on macOS. So we have a separate field for displaying them. There just isn't an elegant solution for that. But certainly if this becomes a popular request (I don't recall it coming up before) we can consider making different tradeoffs. However, I have to ask: why are you trying to edit a generated password? That somewhat defeats the purpose of 1Password creating one that is truly random. I'd be interested to hear if there's a specific use case.

• vr8ce
    vr8ce
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

I don't believe I said anything about a generated password. But why I'm editing the password is irrelevant. I'm editing a password. We can edit/enter a password on Mac/iOS, but we can only see what we're editing on Mac. We should always be able to see what we're editing.

A solution would be to use the "reveal password" field for entry, instead of the blind field, and then copy it back when done. But regardless of the implementation, the "use case" is exactly the same for iOS as it is for the other platforms — we should be able to see a password we're editing.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

In 1Password for iOS you can see the revealed password in edit mode, and changes being made to it, right below the masked version. Is that working differently for you?

This discussion has been closed.