To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Need to repurchase 1 Password when installing on a new computer?

guyw
guyw
Community Member

I have just purchased a new MacBook Pro, and am moving everything over from my old computer. I have successfully moved over my 1Password data, but it is read only - I am being asked to repurchase 1Password! That doesn't feel right - especially as I will no longer be using my old mac. Is there a way to carry over my licence info?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:new computer

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There's definitely no problem in transferring to a new machine without having to pay again.

You say you use iCloud to sync, which makes me think you have the oldstyle licence. Is that correct?

What has probably happened is that on the new machine you have set up 1PW in the newer subscription arrangement, though even then you should have a free trial period.

The AgileBits staff will tell you what to do, though they may need to ask more questions.

Until they have time to reply, if you can read your passwords then you are in fairly good shape.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@danco: Thanks! :chuffed: :+1:

@guyw: Indeed, it sounds to me like you may have installed the wrong version of 1Password. If you purchased it from the Mac App Store, for instance, and you try to install it from our website, it will not know you have purchased it. Please check your records, as you'll have a receipt regardless of where you bought it, and that will tell you where you need to install it from so you can do so without paying for the same thing a second time.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• guyw
    guyw
    Community Member

Thanks @danco. I downloaded 1Password from the App Store. To the best of my knowledge, that's where I did the original download. While I do not keep receipts, I note that 1Password was available for download free of charge on the App Store - not sure this is confirmation that purchase was made there. If not, how do I find out? I did try erasing the app and downloading again from the App Store - but same problem occurred (ie read only access). What do I do?

• Hi @guyw,

Unfortunately the fact that you were able to download 1Password free of charge from the Mac App Store is not an indicator that this was originally purchased there. The app is currently free with in-app-purchase, so it's normal for it to appear as free.

If you go under the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store, it should tell you the original purchase date of the app. If you give us the date, we might be able to confirm whether or not this would have been when the app was a paid download from the Mac App Store.

Rick

• guyw
    guyw
    Community Member

Hi Rick, Thanks for the pointer, which helped me resolve the issue. I had indeed purchased 1Password through the AppStore - but a few years ago, when I was using a different AppleID!

• @guyw

In that case you have a few options:

1. You can install 1Password while logged into the old Apple ID. There would be no cost to doing this. Purchases cannot be transferred from one Apple ID to another.
    2. You could sign up for 1Password.com membership, which would give you access to all of the latest 1Password apps: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership? & Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account
    3. You could re-purchase the in-app purchase for 1Password 6 for Mac on the new Apple ID. This is likely the least desirable option, and certainly not the route I’d take if I were you.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@guyw: There's also a fourth option. While we don't have any control over or insight into the App Store, if you'll send a copy of your Mac App Store receipt to support@1password.com we can generate an AgileBits Store license for you instead. If you do that, just post the Support ID you receive here so we can get back to you more quickly. Cheers! :)

• guyw
    guyw
    Community Member

Brent - thanks - I successfully downloaded 1Password using the old AppleID (Ben's first option). Problem solved - appreciate all the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.