Feature requests: smooth scrolling, remember where I left off, keyboard commands, and auto-save

Hello,

I love the desktop app but there are three things that have made it really cumbersome to use in comparison to my years with Keypass.

1) Scrolling with a mouse or trackpad through the list of vaults is REALLY fast and jumpy. Because I generously using Tags and have 31 vaults spanning 3 Team accounts, I really notice this. It is nearly impossible to read the text while its scrolling or to land on the vaults/tags I'm looking for. Click on the scroll bar and pulling it up/down is very smooth and effective, but every so slightly less convenient, which means lost time.

2) Please integrate keyboard short cuts and optional window focus change. There are some amazing features in Keepass that I think you could borrow from that make it such a boon for power users.

If I have selected an entry in 1Password6, I would love to be able to CTRL+B to copy the username, CTRL+C to copy the password, and CTRL+V to auto-enter the username/password in whatever window is directly behind 1Password6. This idea is coming directly from Keepass.

For several reasons I am either choosing not to use the browser extensions or simply cant, because I'm interacting with non-browser based logins related to system/network administration.

3) I have the app set to lock after a few minutes of inactivity or whenever my screen locks. The number of times I have had to go back and search for exactly the same item that I had previously been looking at probably numbers in the hundreds.
Is it possible to re-open the app back to where I left off?
Not having this results in a lot of lost time using 1Password6 VS. Keepass, which I'm still migrating away from.
It also means that if I forget to save an entry I just created or edited, I loose it when the app locks. This is really less than ideal.

which leads me to
4) If an entry is being edited or created, please give us an option in the settings to auto-save entries when the app locks itself

Thank you,
Darius

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Darius,

Thanks for taking the time to write this for us. We really appreciate it!

First, can you tell us what version of 1Password you're using? We've been making adjustments over time to improve the scrolling performance.

1) Scrolling with a mouse or trackpad through the list of vaults is REALLY fast and jumpy. Because I generously using Tags and have 31 vaults spanning 3 Team accounts, I really notice this. It is nearly impossible to read the text while its scrolling or to land on the vaults/tags I'm looking for. Click on the scroll bar and pulling it up/down is very smooth and effective, but every so slightly less convenient, which means lost time.

You mentioned list of vaults, does that mean you don't see any issues with scrolling within the item list and other list views like 1Password mini?

Note that there is a search field within the vault menu, so you can quickly narrow down the list as needed. We're also working on implementing All Vaults settings, so that you can exclude vaults that you don't use from the All Vaults view.

2) Please integrate keyboard short cuts and optional window focus change. There are some amazing features in Keepass that I think you could borrow from that make it such a boon for power users.

Additional shortcuts are coming in the future, we're still working on implementing more of the features that 1Password 4 that 1Password 6 doesn't yet.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by optional windows focus change, can you explain?

If I have selected an entry in 1Password6, I would love to be able to CTRL+B to copy the username, CTRL+C to copy the password

For now, you can use Ctrl + Shift + C to bring up the menu on which to copy.

CTRL+V to auto-enter the username/password in whatever window is directly behind 1Password6.

This is way too risky for us, we will not implement this because the chances of something else stealing the focus and you entering the data in the wrong app is too high.

However, we do have plans to implement the Auto-Type feature from 1Password 4, so that it has additional protections against this by focusing the correct window for you and auto-type your data.

Is it possible to re-open the app back to where I left off?

It should already be doing that, we have window state restoration, so that when it locks or you change to another window, it remains the same when you switch back.

Can you explain what is happening instead?

It also means that if I forget to save an entry I just created or edited, I loose it when the app locks. This is really less than ideal.

We do automatically save your change when 1Password locks and in other situations. Here's our change log when we added this early this year in the 1Password 6.6. update.

1Password now automatically saves any unsaved edit session if you attempt to edit another item, 1Password auto-locks, and/or when the 1Password window has been closed by other factors. You'll be able to undo this with the Item History feature on 1Password.com.

I tested this with 1Password 6.7 and it seems fine. There is a regression in 6.8 beta but it will be fixed.

• DariusR
    DariusR
    Community Member

Thanks for this. The ctrl+shift+C is going to make a big difference on its own.

The auto-saving and opening back to the previous position works since I updated to the latest Beta.

I dont use the mini-app but can confirm that scrolling is painfully bad in:
    The vault list
    Tags list
    Item list, but slightly less only because I have hundreds of entries. I also rarely scroll the item list because at that point, I'll search for the entry.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DariusR: Ha! I'm with you on searching. I have a lot of stuff (nothing like that), and search is just quicker. Personally, I find scrolling to be pretty painful on Windows in general...but I agree that there's room for improvement for that in 1Password too! :)

With so many vaults/items I can see how you might see performance issues others might not. This is really great, not because you're having trouble, but because it helps us know where we need to focus. Especially as we all use the app more and more, we'll be accumulating more and more data, so any improvements we can make in this area will help everyone in the long term. Thank you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.