Possible bug or discrepancy?

Options
Tycho
Tycho
Community Member

Hi there,

I think I may have found a possible bug in either 1P for Mac or iOS, or at the very least, a strange discrepancy between the two. To begin with, I'm running 1P 6.8.4 on macOS 10.13.1 and 1P 7.0.3 on iOS 11.1.2, with a 1Password.com Family account syncing in the background.

The issue I'm encountering is with my Amazon.com login, but I imagine it applies to any login with the following criteria. Under my Amazon.com login, I have two one-time password (OTP) entries -- one for Amazon.com and one for AWS. The bug/discrepancy I'm encountering is that when I use 1P for the Mac, the Chrome extension automatically copies the first OTP code (Amazon.com) into the clipboard, while on 1P for iOS, the Safari extension automatically copies the second OTP code (AWS) into the clipboard.

In my mind it'd make more sense if the extensions were consistent and both pasted either the first or second OTP code into the clipboard. In reality, I admit it's not a huge issue, but it was just something I've encountered a few times now and thought it might bear mentioning. Either way, I use 1P every single day and find it absolutely indispensable, so thank you for all your hard work!

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tycho: Thanks for reaching out! That's an odd one. It's not strictly a bug since 1Password isn't designed to have multiple TOTP entries per Login. I agree that it wold be better if it were more consistent. It's just not something I've ever encountered before. Can you tell me why you have multiple TOTP codes for the same login in the first place? I'm sorry if that seems nosy, I'm just trying to get an understanding of the user case. Thanks for your support, and your kind words. We'll see if there's a way we can improve this. :)

• Tycho
    Tycho
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Hi there, and thanks for getting back to me! I guess I should better explain how I'm using them. I use my Amazon credentials to log into both the www.amazon.com retail website as well as the Amazon Web Services console at console.aws.amazon.com. I have 2FA setup at both websites, but they use different TOTP tokens, so that's why I have two different TOTP entries under the same Login.

I guess I could break it up and create one login for www.amazon with one TOTP token and another login for console.aws.amazon.com with the other TOTP token, but the problem would be that since they use the same credentials, if I ever changed my Amazon password, I'd have to remember to manually update both logins in 1P to reflect that change. Not a huge deal, I admit.

Or perhaps you have another suggestion for what I should do? Thanks again for all your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tycho: I'm afraid I don't have a better workaround for you for now than to use separate logins. I know that isn't great, but it's exactly what I'd do since it would make it quick and easy to login to each. I really appreciate the additional details so we can see if there's a way we can accommodate this use case in the future. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

This discussion has been closed.