Signing in to work email at work.

KathleenC
KathleenC
Community Member

I am a physician and need to sign into many different applications (ie. my work email) through the day from varying computers at the hospital. We have our own work accounts which we use to sign in to a computer before using it, and technically these accounts should be secure. Do you suggest using my iphone to look up each 1Password password for each application I access on these work computers or would it be fairly safe to sign into 1Password to copy and paste passwords. I ask because looking up typing up each individual password will be incredibly time wasting in a job that has little time to waste. As well, if my phone is dead (which if I'm stuck at the hospital for 12+ hours is likely to happen often) then I'm a bit screwed...

Any help?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @KathleenC

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

It sounds like these are shared computers. We generally don’t recommend using shared computers, but it sounds like in this situation you really don’t have much choice. Since you’ll be accessing the accounts you have stored in 1Password from these computers anyway, the risk doesn’t really seem to be increased here. Also I would suspect/hope that since confidential information is likely passed through these computers your IT department takes extra special care to make sure threats such as malware are limited.

I’m assuming you can’t / don’t want to install the full 1Password application on each of these computers. Obviously the native application provides the best experience, but it generally does require administrative rights to the computer to install, and also isn’t super convenient to have to install & keep updated on each computer if there are a bunch that you need to use.

Do you have access to the Chrome web browser on these computers? If so installing the 1Password for Chrome extension may be the best solution:

1Password X setup — AgileBits Support Forum

If not, then the 1Password.com web interface along with copy+pasting is going to be the next best thing.

Those are my 2¢ anyway. :) I hope that helps!

Ben

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

@KathleenC I am in a similar position, and I cannot install 1Password on my work devices or use 1Password X.

My workaround is to get 1Password to generate word-based passwords for me and adjust them to comply with special character and capital letter restrictions typically imposed by the systems. I then use mnemonic techniques to create a memorable association between the word sequence and the app I'm using in my mind. 1Password on my phone then becomes a backup if I forget.

In your context, this might totally contravene your organisation's security policy, but hopefully it will help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Totally! Word-based passwords + Large Type are very handy in situations like that. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.