Can my wife have a private vault with different master password from mine?

svandor
svandor
Community Member

1Password Families is working great -- for me. The master password on the account is very secure, and comes naturally to my brain, but not my wife's. Can she set a separate master password for her own private vault? Side question -- are all vaults (except Shared) private by default? I cannot seem to create a vault for my wife and set it to "private."

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can my wife have a private vault with a different master password from mine?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password Families is working great -- for me.

@svandor: Great to hear...though I think there's a "but" coming! ;)

The master password on the account is very secure, and comes naturally to my brain, but not my wife's.

I may be reading too much into this, but it sounds like you're making your wife use your 1Password.com account. There's a better way! Invite her and she can have her own — her own Master Password, her own Secret Key, her own Private vault, etc. — and still share some vaults with you if desired:

Share 1Password with your family

Can she set a separate master password for her own private vault?

I wanted to address this separately just to be clear: 1Password.com vaults do not have Master passwords; rather, each account has its own Master Password.

Side question -- are all vaults (except Shared) private by default?

The opposite. The Private vault belonging to each family (or team) member is the only vault which can never be shared. All other vaults can have permissions set on them as you see fit. Any Organizer can do this.

I cannot seem to create a vault for my wife and set it to "private."

Each family (or team) member has their own Private vault which only they can access. It is not possible to create additional Private vaults, but you can create other vaults and share them with one, all, or none of your family members.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• svandor
    svandor
    Community Member

It does help. My wife will get started with her own account! I had got started backasswardd when I upgraded to families!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@svandor: I wouldn't say that you did anything wrong at all. Especially if you came from using Dropbox or something to share data in the past like I did, that was our only option!

I know there are definitely some people that prefer to use it that way: single account, same Master Password, etc. But since you have something different in mind I'm really glad you reached out to ask! We're here if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

• svandor
    svandor
    Community Member

Need some additional guidance, here:
    My wife now has her own account, secret key, and master password. Good! She has a private vault that she has started to populate. Hoever, when she logs into OSx, the 1Password browser extension only accepts the master password for MY account. It does not recognize that her own master password is valid. How do we configure the browser extension to access her account?

• @svandor,

Are you sharing a user account on the Mac? Or do you each have separate accounts? In order to access separate 1Password data on the same computer you’d need to each use your own account on the Mac itself:

Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

If your wife is already logged into her own macOS user account then you can:

1. Launch 1Password
    2. Select 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar (after unlocking, if necessary)
    3. Use the Accounts tab to remove your account and add hers

I hope that helps!

Ben

• svandor
    svandor
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Thanks for the hint, did not pick up on that wrinkle. Yes, separate OSx accounts, we're both administrators. Tried to add her account without deleting mine. This should work fine for us, with the shared vault and two separate private ones.

• Unfortunately that won’t work. You’ll need to remove your account in order to add hers. Two members of the same family (or team) cannot be signed into the same instance of 1Password on the same macOS (or Windows) user account.

Ben

• svandor
    svandor
    Community Member

I think perhaps I should start over with Families documentation and start a new thread. I removed my account (while logged in as Ann) and that appeared to completely remove 1Password. The app asked if I wanted to start a trial. If I hit another wall, I'll open a new thread with details.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Definitely. Thanks for the feedback! Signing out of an account will not delete the app. You'd have to do so yourself — or have another app do that. But from the Welcome screen you just select the "1Password.com" option under "Used 1Password before?" to sign in and you'll be all set. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.