To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Membership and local vaults on all platforms

Options
lcorsini
lcorsini
Community Member

This topic is to clear some confusion (for me) about 1password in future.

I'm actuall owner of 1password for mac (from 3.0) and for windows, I have my old local vault synced via dropbox.
That worked until some time ago, now I have too much devices, not to mention linux desktops, so I switched to lastpass.
Lastpass it's not very smooth but works... and it's free right now... used to be 12$ a year (and I don't really trust the move to a free model)
After 1password X announcement I activated a trial version and I'm importing my lastpass vault to 1Password.com

1password X it's basically the same as lastpass, requiring 1password.com subscription which is $36 a year for individuals which is 3 times lastpass price but includes also 1password apps (mac/windows/ios/android) the problem is that the windows version right now don't support local vaults, also at the moment is limited to Chrome.

I see a convenience to have a separate (and local) vault for some sensitive stuff (maybe on a removable drive) and 1password 7 is supposed to support it, it will be included in subscription, but what happens if I remove subscription? (the same goes for ios/android version)
there will be a discount for previous versions owner?

Also a linux version of the standalone app will ever be in the works? for the same reasons above, I could use 1password X for cloud passwords, but no way to open local vaults.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@icorsini - Wow, OK - a lot to cover in that post! Let me dive right in: first of all, glad you're enjoying your 30-day trial 1password.com account. As you noted, every 1Password membership comes with unlimited access to all our native 1Password applications (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android). However, since we don't have a native Linux app, you'd want to install 1Password X on any Linux installs. But on any Mac or Windows PC, you would be able to install the respective 1Password application instead of 1Password X.

Why would you do it this way? Because 1Password X is currently Chrome-only, that's not true for our regular browser extension. If you're on a PC or a Mac, you can visit our extensions page and download an extension for all major browsers, which greatly expands where you can use 1Password. On Linux, yes, you'd be restricted to 1Password X and therefore to Chrome-only...but if you have PCs or Macs on which you want to use 1Password with Firefox or Vivaldi or Safari, you can. :)

It's also true that 1Password 6 for Windows does not support local vaults currently, but 1Password 7 for Windows will. If you cancel your 1Password subscription, you would need to transfer all of your data back to local vaults, and resume syncing manually -- via Dropbox, probably, if you have multiple platforms on which you run 1Password. You would also need at that point (when you cancel your subscription) to pay for standalone licenses for any 1Password apps you plan to use. Because we have not charged for standalone licenses (especially on the Mac) for quite some time, 1Password 7 will be a paid upgrade for all users. For subscription holders, access to our apps is included in the subscription price. For everyone else, you'd need to purchase a license if you discontinued your subscription but wanted to keep using 1Password in standalone mode. I don't have any details about pricing to share with you for 1Password 7, but the subscription prices are publicly available, as it sounds like you're already aware.

Regarding a native Linux app, it's something we've considered for quite a while. A number of us here are Linux fans, and in a perfect world it would probably be something we'd have. However, Linux is a small percentage of the computers in use by consumers today, and there are many, many flavors (distros). Creating a native Linux app would end up being significantly more work than either the Mac or Windows versions due to the variations in "flavors" of Linux available. Having created 1Password X also makes the need for a native 1Password app on Linux much less acute - it's no longer the case that Linux folks have no good option for using 1Password. So while I'd say it's not a definite "no," based on the other work we've got on our plates now plus the available developer cycles we have to devote, a native 1Password Linux app is likely still in the hypothetical distant future, at this point.

Thanks for the question(s), and I hope that's explained where things stand as of now. Cheers! :)

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply, is quite explaining.
    I found a little confusing the situation because I was a customer of the standalone version and it wasn't very clear for me the path to choose, also it's not the first time I try coming back to 1P because I found the user experience a lot better that your competitors.

However your explanation is a little bit far from perfect for me at the moment because:

• Yes I could (and I will) install native 1P on mac or windows, but still have 2 competing extensions installed on my browser (let's limit this to chrome at the moment) because I need to use 1PX on linux and I sync my browser profile on every machine I use, it a little bit cumbersome and inelegant because I have to manually remove one extension on every machine after profile sync.

I don't know your plans, but maybe a merge of both extensions, with a way to detect the if there is 1P installed and fallback to 1PX otherwise could be a more elegant solution than remove/install extensions everytime

• Also, but I hope this is temporary, 1PX is limited to chrome and a little immature (see for example password generator, there is no customization available, I can't create a custom identity for special fields like i could in lastpass)

• Regarding linux I understand and accept that you don't have/don't want to use resources for a small market but "flavors", please, that's really an inexistent problem, modern distros don't have any real compatibilty problem on desktop and:

You could limit yourself to Ubuntu and Fedora packaged versions
      You could use Snaps https://snapcraft.io/
      You could build it using Electron https://electronjs.org/
      You could even use a docker container

So there is no real need to maintain multiple version of an app, still, like i said I understand if you dont't want to use resources on that and if 1PX is on par with native 1P features I could use it without problems.
    Lastpass it's easy to manage, it's only cloud, all their feature are present on every platform.
    You actually have great native mac and windows app that could also work offline, and a new browser extension, which could work on every platform (even where you already have apps) but it's very limited at the moment.

If your plans are to make 1PX a first class citizen in your platform, something that could replace (if I want/need) native desktop app I'm sold, in the meantime I'm still full of doubt if return back on board (but I still use desktop app for some things)

• @lcorsini: I know better than to opine on the feasibility of a native app for Linux as I've insufficient familiarity there to accurately represent any challenges, but I do know Linux has been often on our mind and Lars is absolutely right that it's never wise to say something like that is totally off the table. 1Password X gets a lot of attention from Linux users, of course, but one goal for 1Password X (and a reason Chrome came first) was to support ChromeOS as well as Linux (or, really, anyone who can't install a native app for any reason, no matter what that is). Given that goal, it absolutely is the plan to make it a true replacement for the desktop apps for those who want that, with the notable exception that standalone vaults are unlikely to come to 1Password X at all since it relies so heavily on 1Password.com infrastructure.

it a little bit cumbersome and inelegant because I have to manually remove one extension on every machine after profile sync.

You actually don't have to disable one. Though we did design 1Password X to disable the standard extension when it's first installed as it caused a bit of confusion during beta testing, 1Password X and the 1Password extension will work just fine side-by-side (if you have a desktop app installed) and the standard extension shouldn't get in 1Password X's way at all when you're on Linux. After all, it doesn't do much of anything without the desktop app. All the same, you're right that you'll have two different icons hanging out in Chrome, so if toolbar clutter bothers you, I can understand why this might be a negative for you.

Since I personally have to troubleshoot both the desktop apps and 1Password X, I have both installed in Chrome on my PC and one thing I have found helpful is accessing each with my keyboard. Ctrl + Shift + X opens 1Password X whereas Ctrl + \ fills from 1Password 6 for Windows or Ctrl + Alt + \ opens 1Password mini. This remains the same, no matter what device I'm using (with the exception of Command replacing Ctrl on Mac, of course) and makes using both easier, for me at least. Of course, on Linux, Ctrl + \ will do nothing since you won't have a desktop app there, but I don't find the extensions compete at all when starting from the keyboard, so you may still find getting into this habit is lower friction for you.

You actually have great native mac and windows app that could also work offline

Thank you!

and a new browser extension, which could work on every platform (even where you already have apps) but it's very limited at the moment.

1Password X does have some maturing to do. 1Password X 1.0 was only just released into the wild last month, so it's still a baby and this is only the beginning. A customizable password generator and support for additional browsers are only a few of the things we want to work on for 1Password X. Right now, we're taking a step back so the development team can see how it's doing now we've taken off the training wheels and can fix any issues that maybe didn't crop up with our smaller beta team, then it will be off to the races once more to try new things. While 1Password X isn't intended to be a replacement for the desktop apps per se, we definitely want folks to have the option to use it exclusively so definitely look for exciting new things in the future. :chuffed:

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member
    Options

1Password X gets a lot of attention from Linux users, of course, but one goal for 1Password X (and a reason Chrome came first) was to support ChromeOS as well as Linux (or, really, anyone who can't install a native app for any reason, no matter what that is). Given that goal, it absolutely is the plan to make it a true replacement for the desktop apps for those who want that, with the notable exception that standalone vaults are unlikely to come to 1Password X at all since it relies so heavily on 1Password.com infrastructure.

That's well explained and doesn't come by surprise given the fact that 1PX is cloud only for me access to local vaults it's important, but limited to some very specific items I want to keep separated from standard passwords.

You actually don't have to disable one. Though we did design 1Password X to disable the standard extension when it's first installed as it caused a bit of confusion during beta testing, 1Password X and the 1Password extension will work just fine side-by-side (if you have a desktop app installed) and the standard extension shouldn't get in 1Password X's way at all when you're on Linux. After all, it doesn't do much of anything without the desktop app. All the same, you're right that you'll have two different icons hanging out in Chrome, so if toolbar clutter bothers you, I can understand why this might be a negative for you.

Well there is the clutter, and is lost where a password comes from, I tried right now and with both extensions unlocked 1PX seems to win over standard app showing it's icon inside a login field, but at the same time only standard 1Password keyboard shortcuts works instead of 1PX ones, so, yes it's a little confusing for me, a single extension, capable of deciding what to use depending on the platform (or user preference) could be a lot better in my opinion.

So right now I'm:
    back to chrome (at least on linux) to use 1PX (hope firefox version is out soon)
    disabling 1PX on my mac and windows chrome browsers and running standard app with 1P cloud subscription (at least the trial month)

I'll see if this setup works

• @lcorsini: I can't help with the extra icon, but I can help a bit with this

with both extensions unlocked 1PX seems to win over standard app showing it's icon inside a login field, but at the same time only standard 1Password keyboard shortcuts works instead of 1PX ones, so, yes it's a little confusing for me

If you unlock 1Password X and click Gear icon > Settings, you can disable Show 1Password icon in forms on non-Linux machines to keep it out of the way a bit more. I'm also able to use both sets of keyboard shortcuts, at least one Windows (I don't use Mac much, but I'd be surprised if things work differently there). Keep in mind 1Password X doesn't have a fill shortcut -- you need to navigate using the arrow keys to fill. Down arrow will display the inline menus when you have a login form field focused. If you have those disabled, you can navigate through the options in 1Password X itself after its opening it using the arrow keys. Enter will execute the highlighted option (copy, fill, etc). I like the inline menu myself, even with the standard extension also active, but I'm not exactly the most organized either so I'm less bothered by clutter. That said, your account syncs any changes between all the apps and 1Password X, so if you're wanting to use the desktop apps on other devices anyway, there's really no specific need to have 1Password X on Macs and PCs and disabling outside Linux may well be your best bet. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.