1Password will not open on my Apple watch

2»

Comments

• Chris_Journal
    Chris_Journal
    Community Member

Same problem. 1PW worked fine on old watch, but now demands PIN etc on newest watch. Could it be because I have set watch to auto unlock when iPhone is unlocked (instead of entering passcode on watch separately)?

• Sleepy
    Sleepy
    Community Member

@brenty : Yes, i have passcode on my watch. I'm using only icloud vault,item type:logins,credit cards,licenses.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Chris_Journal: Do you mean that 1Password is asking you for a PIN on your watch? If so, I wonder if you've still got an old version of the app installed there somehow.

@Sleepy: I'm sorry you're still having trouble with this. Please edit one of those items to Remove from Apple Watch and then add another one. Hopefully that will force the phone to send over the data. Let me know if that helps!

• Ulisse
    Ulisse
    Community Member

Okay, ho seguito fedelmente tutti i 14 passaggi e, finalmente, 1Password funziona correttamente anche sul mio Apple Watch! Grazie!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ulisse: That's great! Thank you for letting me know that helped! :)

• Chris_Journal
    Chris_Journal
    Community Member

Hi Brenty - Still cannot get 1PW operating on new watch, latest app. Tried In "settings" on iPhone, 1PW is allowed to access photos/background refresh & use cellular data. On Watch app on iPhone 1PW was uninstalled, then reinstalled - it has now been "reinstalling" for 20 mins. When I check 1PW icon on watch, I see the logo with the circle around it spinning continuously. Does the watch need to be on its charger to complete the installation (it is already connected to my iPhone)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Chris_Journal: It's a bit difficult to find, but the only way you can (sort of) see the installation status of an app on the watch itself is the...gee, I don't even know what it's called. Anyway, it's the screen with the honeycomb of all the app icons. If you're at the watch face and press the crown in, it will take you there, and you can see if the 1Password icon is filled in all the way (white circle with blue and a keyhole in the middle). If it's greyed out wholly or partially, it's installing. If it's not there, it isn't installed/installing at all.

But what you seem to be referring to is the icon with the circle going around it when you launch the app. That seems to indicate that 1Password is installed already (but double-check to be sure) and watchOS is in the process of opening it. I haven't been able to make much sense of this, but the time apps take to complete this process and actually open varies greatly, even from day to day. Having an app in the Dock (pill-shaped button on the side will take you there) seems to keep them in memory more, so that they open quickly. Regardless, when you try launch an app, watchOS can sometimes take a while to open it. Be patient and persistent, and make sure it's actually finished installing. I find that it's helpful to restart the watch occasionally (a couple times a week?) but this does make apps take longer to open for a while afterward. Let me know what you find!

• Tzahbo
    Tzahbo
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Hello, i have the same problem, i tried your guide but with no use, still getting "Requires Apple wach device pin", i have a passcodes on both watch and iphone, still cant get it to work.
    I have the pro edition and i sent diagnostics.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tzahbo: Are you certain you followed each step exactly? It's a long list, so no one would fault you for missing one. I just wouldn't want to waste your time by sending you on a wild goose chase if the answer lies there. :)

Either way, I'm not seeing any messages from this address, so please post the Support ID you received so we can track down your email. Cheers! :)

• abelj
    abelj
    Community Member

Can't get 1PW to work on my new Apple2 watch. Get message that says: Requires Apple Watch device PIN.
    From reading the thread, looks like at present, can't solve issue without a major investment of time and effort and that I would be better off waiting until Agile Bits brings this up to their high standards.
    Is my assumption correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@abelj: Unfortunately without any basic information it's hard to say in your case. We'll do whatever we can to help, but not much to go on so far other than it doesn't work. Do you have a device PIN setup on your Apple Watch? Do you have the Pro Features in 1Password for iOS? Have you already set some items to Add to Apple Watch on your iPhone? Also, please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• abelj
    abelj
    Community Member

Dear Brenty:

When I go to the toolbar on the Apple Watch, the 1Password app says: "Add items from 1Password on your phone. Requires Apple watch device pin".

On my Mac, I am running 1Password version 6.64 (664002) purchase from the Mac App Store. I have the family version. My Mac is running Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.4. My iPhone has the latest version of iOS. Phone is model MGAW2LL/A.

The Apple Watch is series 2. Apple watch software on the iPhone is version 3.1.3 (14 S960). The Passcode has been turned off (so that the phone says "Turn Passcode On”.

On the switch for "Simple Passcode", the slider has been moved to the right.

Presently I get no 1Password functionality on the Apple Watch. When it is set up properly, I do not know what capabilities of 1Password will be available on the watch.

Thanks for patiently waiting through the above.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@abelj: Likewise, thanks for the info! I am still not sure though if you've enabled a passcode on your Apple Watch, as I asked above. You can do this in Watch > Passcode and select Turn Passcode On on your iPhone. Without this enabled, 1Password will not function on your Apple Watch. Please also make sure you're on iOS 10.3.1, and update to watchOS 3.2 in Watch > General > Software Update on your iPhone. And then when you view and item in 1Password for iOS and tap Add to Apple Watch, it can be shown there as well. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• ikedasatie
    ikedasatie
    Community Member

Hello. I bought the Pro Features and than I did all the 14 steps, added some news itens to apple watch, cancel others but it's still not working. Any new solution? ios 11.1.2 and os 4.1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hello. I bought the Pro Features and than I did all the 14 steps, added some news itens to apple watch, cancel others but it's still not working. Any new solution? ios 11.1.2 and os 4.1

@ikedasatie: I'm not sure what you mean by "cancel others". Please follow my instructions in this post:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/401188/#Comment_401188

This is the only solution, apart from contacting Apple for assistance with a device issue, as we have no control over the installation process. Make sure you follow everything there exactly and let me know how it turns out.

• anovick
    anovick
    Community Member

new apple watch 3 (gps + cellular) watch 0S 4.1

I am running 1Password v6.8.4 from App Store. with Pro features.

iphone X with iOS 11.2

no joy getting past the dreaded "Add items from 1Password on your phone. Requires Apple Watch device pin." on my watch.

All works just great bertween Mac and iPhone. No luck with the Apple Watch.

I have tried the 14 step procedure. Still no joy.

Help (please).

-alan

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @anovick - sorry to hear you're having trouble getting 1Password items on your shiny new Apple Watch. Clarifying question: is 1Password actually installed on your watch? You need to go to the Watch app on your iPhone and install the actual 1Password app.

If you've already done that, what do you see when you open 1Password on your Apple Watch? Anything? Also, what happened when you tried to enable the passcode on your Apple Watch? Or was it already enabled?

• anovick
    anovick
    Community Member

Lars-

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes. 1Password is installed on iphone and on watch. When I tap 1Password on the watch I see the following:

"Add items from 1Password on your phone.
    Requires Apple Watch Passcode"

This was posted above. It looks like what I am seeing on my watch.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/7r/in9gt433c4oa.png

I don't understand where I can input the passcode. Also, I do not see the option to "Add to Apple Watch" on any items in my iphone's (or Mac's) vault.

I am usually pretty good at this stuff. Help.

-alan

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@anovick - Oh, OK -- you'll need to open Settings on your Apple Watch and enable a Passcode for the watch itself. Just tap Settings and scroll down to the very bottom, you should see the Passcode option.

• anovick
    anovick
    Community Member

Lars-

I know you are trying to help me. Either I am missing something, or...Houston, we have a problem.

Can we actually talk?

Thank you.

-alan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@anovick: I think we need to back up a bit. Have you setup the watch app yet?

Use 1Password on your Apple Watch

If you have not set any items to "Add to Apple Watch", there will be nothing for it to display and you'll see that screen. And if you're not seeing the "Add to Apple Watch" option at all, then it sounds like you haven't setup any to be displayed there.

Do you have the Pro features in 1Password for iOS? 1Password for Apple Watch is part of that, so it will not work otherwise.

Also, only certain item types can be displayed on the watch, but be sure to let me know if you're having trouble with those! :)

• MatthiasSt1981
    MatthiasSt1981
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Still the same problem with iOS 12. I have a 1Password subscription, enabled everything just as described, uninstalled and reinstalled everything, but on the Apple Watch (Series 4) it says „Requires Apple Watch Passcode“.

[EDIT: It works now! I hadn’t added any login items to the Apple Watch via the iPhone app. I didn’t know it was necessary to add all my logins manually. By the way: Isn’t this very uncomfortable?]

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MatthiasSt1981 - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I helped you get things squared away, but since you appear to have solved the problem by yourself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

So, congratulations! Keep an eye on things and please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great rest of your week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@MatthiasSt1981: Just to clarify, since 1Password cannot run crypto natively on the watch using your Master Password (this is done using the system Keychain, which is why a passcode is required), items are only added there when you select them explicitly.

• MatthiasSt1981
    MatthiasSt1981
    Community Member

@brenty: I see! Thank you very much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We'r here if you have any other questions. Enjoy your weekend! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.