Wlan sync not working

danmassey
danmassey
Community Member

Setting up the Android app on a clean installation of Android, the app successfully sees the server being advertised on my network. However after entering the server secret, and hitting 'start sync' nothing happens -- the button disables and then the screen stays static indefinitely.1.

1Password Version: 6.7.Beta-3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 7.1.1
Sync Type: Wlan

Comments

• Hey @danmassey! Let's see what's going on here. Can you let me know what device you're syncing with? Is it a Mac or PC? Also, can you please try the troubleshooting tips here?
    https://support.1password.com/wlan-server-troubleshooting/

• danmassey
    danmassey
    Community Member

Hello, it's from a Macbook which is running the latest version of OS X.

It's syncing fine with an iPhone on the same network. I'll try the troubleshooting steps and update the thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Are you by any chance using Pixel 2 XL? We've been getting similar reports recently only from those devices. Either way, definitely try all of the suggestions in that guide. It can literally be something as simple as bad date/time settings on a single device, so leave no stone unturned and let us know what you find! :)

• shaunc
    shaunc
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

I'm having the same issue. I see the computer on the network, prompts me for the secret, but then after pressing "Start Sync" there's only a greyed out continue button. If I then back up to exit I get prompted to enter my vault password - presumably this is what should happen when I press start. However if I then enter the vault password it continues the back action and exits 1Password without syncing, showing an "Exiting 1Password" toast.

It seems as if the Activity that requests the vault password doesn't launch properly, but has been called. It shows up when exiting, but then continues with the exit and doesn't proceed to syncing.

In case it makes a difference I'm using the latest Android Beta version on a OnePlus 5, however I'm also running Lineage OS. On my old Nexus 6 with Lineage sync used to work just fine.

• Hi @shaunc. Thanks for reaching out! Have you tried the tips in our guide?
    https://support.1password.com/wlan-server-troubleshooting/

• shaunc
    shaunc
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Hi @peri, thanks for the reply. I've been through everything a few times. I am successfully connected - it says "Connected to WLAN server on (hostname of my Mac). Enter your WLAN server secret". When I do this and hit start sync, nothing happens except the button changes to say continue, but it's greyed out. If I press back, it asks for my vault password. When I enter the password it exits.

I realise you don't really like supporting the WLAN server, but it feels like everything is almost working but it doesn't ask for the vault password at the right time, only when hitting back which then forces it to exit before it has a chance to sync. The network discovery and connection appears to work just fine, but it doesn't ask for the password when expected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@shaunc: That's certainly a bit odd. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#VVY-42333-854]

If you’re reading this and you are not shaunc, this Support ID is for shaunc only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: VVY-42333-854

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

Having exactly the same issue. Android, Windows, 6.7 beta-3.
    I don't think the logs can be taken if the first sync does not work?

Hopefully this is not just a way to show how bad wlan sync is and push towards move to cloud - I am not gonna switch to cloud for my passwords vault. It was working perfectly well before. Wlan is down, local sync is not working for opvault... Looks really bad.

• Hey @girtsn. Can you let us know what version of Android OS you're using? It seems these problems have popped up in Android 8.0. Are you by chance using the Android developer preview?

Also, what device are you syncing with, and what OS version are you using there?

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

@perl - using Android 7.1 Lineage on Galaxy S7, Windows 10 64-bit on pc

• Thanks! Have you tried our troubleshooting steps for the WLAN server?

• titan0g
    titan0g
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

I'm having the exact same issue as @shaunc
    I moved from dropbox sync to WLAN sync recently (like a month and a half ago) and it worked flawlessly. Then, recently I wanted to update my client and it stopped working. I tried reinstalling the app, changing the secret and all the steps in the troubleshooting guide for WLAN servers and it still doesn't work!
    I'm running Windows 10 FCU with 1Password 4.6.2.626 and my client is an ASUS Zenfone 3 running stock android 7.0 with november 1 patch level, with 1Password 6.7.BETA-4

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

recently I wanted to update my client and it stopped working

@titan0g: Can you elaborate? What did you update? It's not uncommon for Windows updates to reset network settings to defaults. Definitely worth checking:

https://support.1password.com/wlan-server-troubleshooting/#if-you-don-t-see-your-windows-pc-from-your-mobile-device

We haven't released 1Password updates with any changes to WLAN Server in years. Have you tried an ad-hoc network?

https://support.1password.com/wlan-server-troubleshooting/#create-a-computer-to-computer-network

If you're still having trouble, please be specific about the symptoms you're seeing, as that may help narrow down the cause.

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

@perl, @brenty
    it does not seem like a connectivity issue
    1. the wlan server name is detected on mobile device without any issues
    2. if trying to sync with an existing vault, the server asks to enter the master password after entering the secret on mobile device

it would be easy to check an older android beta - is it possible to get older apk's to test with?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

it does not seem like a connectivity issue
    1. the wlan server name is detected on mobile device without any issues

@girtsn: I appreciate the details! Not sure what's going on there, but discovery is working at least though, so that's something.

1. if trying to sync with an existing vault, the server asks to enter the master password after entering the secret on mobile device

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that you are able to sync with another vault? At what point are you getting stuck exactly? Are you getting an error? Also, click "View Log" in 1Password for Windows. There might be something useful there.

it would be easy to check an older android beta - is it possible to get older apk's to test with?

That isn't something I can offer you, but I'll do some more testing and get back to you. :)

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

@brenty
    I have the capability to clear and restore the Android app data with a backup app
    1. With an existing vault copy in Android app, try to sync, android app asks to enter secret, when it is entered, windows app asks to enter master password, then Android app shows a progress hourglass that never ends. In the windows log see only 2 auth and 2 handshake entries, no errors, status idle. Android email diagnostics feature does not mention the sync session at all, does have an old successful sync session
    if entering wrong secret in Android, asks to enter secret again - so communication is very clearly happening due to this and the enter master password behavior above.
    2. with empty Android app data, select wlan sync, shows my server hostname. click on it, asks for secret, on entering wrong secret, this time even red message that it is wrong. with correct secret, windows app asks to enter master password, but android app stays in idle state. exact;y same logs structure on windows, no errors.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@girtsn: It sounds like you're not being asked for the Master Password in 1Password for Android. Is that correct? I think I've been able to reproduce what you're seeing. I've filed an issue for this so we can figure out what's going wrong there. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We'll get this fixed!

ref: OPA-1355

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

@brenty indeed, not being asked for master password in Android, it stops / gets stuck before that phase

• titan0g
    titan0g
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

@brenty sorry I should've specified. What I meant to say is that I did an initial WLAN Sync months ago on a clean android installation and it worked, then, recently, I wanted to sync my vault because I had added a few items on my PC, and that didn't work. So I reinstalled the app and so far I haven't been able to WLAN Sync it.

Between that time I only updated the 1Password for Android beta.

I also would like to add that I'm not being asked for my master password in 1Password for Android after the Windows version does.
    I just tried with the latest beta (1 Dic '17, 6.7.BETA-5) and it still doesn't work

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am able to see my computer when I initially select WLAN Sync. It stops syncing after asking the master password on the Windows version and the log only shows two handshake entries.

• peri
    edited December 2017

Thanks @girtsn and @titan0g. When you attempt to sync, are you able to view the sync log from the WLAN sync window on Windows? Do you see any relevant info there?

Also, I know you said you followed the troubleshooting steps, but can you confirm you've added ports 6262 and 5353 in the Windows Firewall. This is often the source of trouble. Tom's Hardware has a pretty good guide on it.

• titan0g
    titan0g
    Community Member

hi @peri
    it's not my firewall. just tried turning it off completely and still no change.

This is my sync log after it asks me for the master password in Windows.
    ``<-- [auth] --> [auth] {"timestamp":1512343892,"session":"24EF882C40834D999E9F406639A395DB","request":"auth","version":1,"capabilities":[]}

<-- [handshake] {"request":"handshake","timestamp":1512343864,"session":"24EF882C40834D999E9F406639A395DB"} --> [handshake] {"timestamp":1512343896,"session":"24EF882C40834D999E9F406639A395DB","request":"handshake","profile":{"lastUpdatedBy":"","profileName":"default","passwordHint":"","uuid":"B47755F996634C3585DDE0E67BA56117","salt":"qbIa3N7eyXVElnmA2ak3mg==","iterations":10000,"createdAt":1512343896,"updatedAt":1512343896,"masterKey":"b3BkYXRhMDEAAQAAAAAAAN8U6tLJNGVn2k+b1Oolq1nF1MUYGyMy5+AgVBDzOS/CnL/EBNoEgsfOrkD3Qc+xF7Jc3QZQyg8zTY4UO6xx6+AVltXnNaauomzYetwVPDdRuOXdjHvCOmCOmUv6UcQMwKh0aoecyovbfQ3O4sftVdkzgq2mjSU5TOSANwMH/ivJwfSKiKypk0R1wqSJ4RplR1kQ1E90nEpY4KD6OvsJH8CM+cNhYUCysVDv6mRwoi3ZBvXz3B7zoArwpRswR1V0Y8ZJwQxKIJp7niSZNxT5pArcvBar46a4jhsnaM2sx8H8wXQztwpyR0oNlgBF9zT1xP/OMpLt0hs/P4JfP2czqm/OIli4S60Mf0cHT8M6hIonh2dRQA/l+VUmU3Gjv04DRvkUJxOOJnnjrNl9LYMZTbwUOJabP1Czt2kypM4b4qcD","overviewKey":"b3BkYXRhMDFAAAAAAAAAABgLaZT/0PlMxTBw4hz5ANobTNWAASGTyp+/g969afk3NaySwGKjTSdeMNmGfv2SvgUMulJWPVfz/FIL3AUVxg7/WB8HJuRngFqncTJ+hOVFX8DLnucQXVbuNx+jbKOtWUIQX2Lg4ZnpieICiZTHUQ5gBBmsTQf9qhHBwJngc97Y"}}``

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@girtsn: Perfect. Thanks for confirming!

@peri: girtsn mentioned seeing "2 auth and 2 handshake entries, no errors, status idle" in the log. Not a lot to go on, but that's not their fault. That definitely helps! :)

@titan0g: I'd love to know if you're seeing the same thing in 1Password for Windows, or something different. That will help us determine if we're dealing with one problem or more than one. :)

• titan0g
    titan0g
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

@brenty so far I have the exact same symptoms as @girtsn
    I posted (badly) the log I get on Windows after trying to WLAN sync on my previous post

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for confirming! I think we've narrowed down the issue. We'll get this fixed in the beta. :)

• HalanR
    HalanR
    Community Member

Count me in also! Pixel 2 with v8.0. All iOS devices can connect to the WLAN server, but NOTHING on the Pixel side. Just keeps looking and looking... very frustrating.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry about that! While we're working on a fix for the beta, you're welcome to use the stable release. We're not seeing any issues there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HalanR, @danmassey, @titan0g, @girtsn, @shaunc: 6.7.BETA-6 has been released and should be available to you now or very shortly. This should address the issues you've been experiencing connecting to sync your data, so please give it a try and let us know if you encounter any further issues. Thank you all for participating in the beta! :)

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

@brenty thanks can confirm the fix worked for me

• Great! Thanks for confirming!

• titan0g
    titan0g
    Community Member

@brenty @peri
    Working here too! :D Thanks for your help!

This discussion has been closed.