To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Questions of importance before subscribing

Options

Hello!
I have to say I love this application. I have used the free version and I'm now planning on paying for the membership. But first I need to ask some important questions, I need to be sure before deciding whether or not this app suits my needs.

1. Is it possible for someone to get access to my information if I unexpectedly get a virus or a key logger on my Mac? Or is this impossible because the would need more information than just the Master Password to access my account?

2. I read somewhere that it's possible to recover something that has been deleted. So if I delete a password on misstake, I can just go back and recover it again?

3. What is the most important to store safely, meaning that if I lose it it is impossible for you to help me recover my account back. The Master Password or the Security Key/Emergency Kit? I have already memorized my Master Password and made an emergency kit. But I would like to know what I should be very cautious of not losing. I will use this application extensively so this question is very important to me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello! I have to say I love this application. I have used the free version and I'm now planning on paying for the membership. But first I need to ask some important questions, I need to be sure before deciding whether or not this app suits my needs.

@secret_agent_84: Sure thing! Thanks for getting in touch, and for the kind words! :chuffed:

Is it possible for someone to get access to my information if I unexpectedly get a virus or a key logger on my Mac? Or is this impossible because the would need more information than just the Master Password to access my account?

Yes. I say that almost unequivocally, because if your machine is compromised all bets are off. We should assume that an attacker capable of taking over your machine is smart enough to make the best use of that power. That said, this applies whether you're using the "standalone" 1Password app, a 1Password.com membership, something else, or nothing at all. If you allow someone access to the system they are effectively you at that point and can simply access anything you can so long as they are patient. So while that's something to be aware of, it has no bearing on 1Password.com accounts in particular.

I read somewhere that it's possible to recover something that has been deleted. So if I delete a password on misstake, I can just go back and recover it again?

Hmm. I'm not certain what you're asking, so I'll cover a couple scenarios.

• If you're talking about the 1Password app, that can easily be downloaded again from our website.
    • The data you store in 1Password is not something that we can restore for you...but (unlike using the standalone app) with a 1Password.com membership, your data is automatically backed up offsite: all you need are your account credentials to sign in and access it. Now, if you lose those, you're out of luck, but keeping a copy of your Emergency Kit in a secure location like a safe deposit box is all the insurance you need...
    • And 1Password.com also keeps item history, so you can restore a previous version of an item if you make a change that you regret.

What is the most important to store safely, meaning that if I lose it it is impossible for you to help me recover my account back.

No. We cannot help you recover your data because we never have the keys to it. That's critical to the security of all 1Password users. However, with 1Password Families (and Teams), an Organizer (or admin) can help other members recover their accounts. It's really great, and it avoids the risk of us having access to people's accounts so that we could be used to get to 1Password users.

The Master Password or the Security Key/Emergency Kit? I have already memorized my Master Password and made an emergency kit. But I would like to know what I should be very cautious of not losing. I will use this application extensively so this question is very important to me.

Absolutely! It's up to you, but we recommend writing your Master Password in the space provided on your Emergency Kit and locking that up in the bank. Other people use a safe, and keep the Master Password only in their head, and that's perfectly fine. It's your data, and therefore up to you. And if you have family or team members who can recover for each other, that's a great safety net too.

I think that covers it, but be sure to let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• secret_agent_84
    secret_agent_84
    Community Member
    Options

Great, you got it all! Last thing: So in theory, for someone to get access to my account off my computer they would need my Master Password, Secret Key and my email account in order to get access to my account, right? So if someone somehow knows my Master Pass and my secret key it is not enough to log on to my account because of the missing email? Or if they know my email and secret key that wouldn't still be enough, because of the missing master pass?

• @secret_agent_84 : right, you need all 3 of those.

The email address is generally pretty guessable, and is available in clear text in our database in our apps. So that's really not any kind of security.

The Master Password is really what's protecting your data from others on your device. Make it as strong as possible.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.