Cannot verify Firefox code signature

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Firefox 57 (Quantum) 1Password Add-on 4.6.12.90 grayed out in toolbar.

Comments

• sascha2015
    sascha2015
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    thx for the fast reply, as i said all components are the latest versions: macOS (10.13.1), Firefox Quantum (57.0, not beta), 1Password Version 6.8.4 (684000) Mac App Store. All German versions (tried also english Firefox). As soon as you install the extension you get an error (see picture) and 1Password Add-on 4.6.12.90 grayed out in toolbar. Reinstalled several time (also clean install via App Cleaner)

The error message says: 1Password cannot proof identitiy of the webrowser.

To make clear: 1Password Extensions worked flawlessly in previos Firefox version(s). Please resolve asap, thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sascha2015,

If you see "code signature or identity could not be verified" message in your Firefox, please try to follow the steps in this guide on our website.

Let us know if it helps. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• sascha2015
    sascha2015
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

thx for the reply, unfortunately did not work. 1Password Extensions worked flawlessly in previos Firefox version(s), maybe there is a incombatiblity with FF 57 ?

Regards Sascha

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@sascha2015: No, it definitely works. 1Password has been ready for Firefox 57 (which is a pretty big change) since August. The reason it isn't working for you is that 1Password cannot verify the identity of Firefox. It's possible that Firefox is simply damaged, so installing a fresh copy of it may help (I had some trouble updating to 57 myself on a couple machines).

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

P.S: Since you're not using Windows, the topic of the discussion, I've split you off into a separate one so we can focus on your issue.

ref: VPG-22284-255

• sascha2015
    sascha2015
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Brenty,

sorry but di you read my comments ? I already installed several times.... ;-) You have report....

BTW. Remote Session is possible when necessary...

Thanks for looking & regards Sascha

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sascha2015,

We received your email with the diagnostics – thanks for sending that. I've sent you a reply with instructions for installing a fresh copy of Firefox in your Applications folder so it won't be running from an app translocation folder (which has been preventing 1Password from verifying its code signature). Hopefully the 1Password extension will be working fine after that. :)

• galeha
    galeha
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, @sjk
    Please provide similar link for me as I, too, have had no success getting 1Password extension for Firefox to work on my Mac since v57. Sometimes the 1Password icon will flicker from grey to black but even if I'm ready with a field to fill in, I'm never fast enough to click on the icon while it's black. My MBPro is running OS X 10.12.6. And yes, I've tried deleting Firefox and reinstalling, as well as the trick someone suggested re turning off Tracking Protection -- no difference.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

HI @galeha -- we can do that if necessary, but based on what you're discussing, I'm not sure that's your problem here. I'd like you to choose Go > Go To Folder in your Mac's Finder and copy/paste ~/Library/Application Support/ -- see if you can find a folder there called Mozilla. If not, please quit Firefox, create the Mozilla folder, and restart. See if that solves your issue. You may also need to re-install the 1Password extension as well, but try just this by itself first. Let us know how you get on!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@galeha: Also, make sure you have the latest versions of the 1Password app and extension installed:

https://1password.com/downloads/
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

You'll need them all to be up to date in order for them to talk to each other (which the flickering icon can be a symptom of). Let us know how it goes! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

Brenty, sorry but di you read my comments ? I already installed several times.... ;-) You have report.... BTW. Remote Session is possible when necessary... Thanks for looking & regards Sascha

@sascha2015: I did, but from the context I thought you were referring to reinstalling 1Password. Sorry for misunderstanding. I see Scott has been in touch with you via email already so we'll continue to work there to figure this out. :blush:

• galeha
    galeha
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Bingo, thanks. The Mozilla folder was there, as was an Extensions subfolder, but that was empty. I deleted the subfolder, deleted the Firefox app (again), updated 1Password (yes, I had an update pending), installed the 1Password extension again, and all is working.

Am I correct to trust that when the 1Password Mac app gets future updates, one won't have to update the browser extension(s)? Or that we'll be told to update them? (Am I recalling correctly that Chrome extension autoupdate but Firefox and Safari don't?)

Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty: Bingo, thanks. The Mozilla folder was there, as was an Extensions subfolder, but that was empty. I deleted the subfolder, deleted the Firefox app (again), updated 1Password (yes, I had an update pending), installed the 1Password extension again, and all is working.

@galeha: Aha! Great! I'm not sure I can really take credit, but I'm glad that fixed it for you. :chuffed:

Am I correct to trust that when the 1Password Mac app gets future updates, one won't have to update the browser extension(s)? Or that we'll be told to update them? (Am I recalling correctly that Chrome extension autoupdate but Firefox and Safari don't?) Thanks again.

So, here's the thing... Firefox and Safari can both update extensions automatically, but they don't always. I agree that Chrome is much better at this!

Safari will autoupdate if you install it from Apple's extension gallery, but that tends to lag behind a bit as Apple has to approve it before it goes "live" there.

Firefox, on the other hand, is supposed to update similarly to Chrome, but I've seen plenty of cases where it just doesn't, and it isn't clear why. Sometimes toggling the update mechanism (auto/manual) helps, otherwise installing a fresh copy generally gets it going again — until it stops again inexplicably. I'm hopeful that this is something Mozilla is improving as they make big changes to Firefox, but I haven't seen or heard anything to that effect yet.

But more to the point, Firefox 57 and its new requirement of WebExtensions using Native Messaging is a pretty big transition, and I've had trouble just getting Firefox updated on some machines. I suspect that subsequent updates will smooth this out though. You don't have to update, but we certainly recommend it. However, with this huge change out of the way if you lag behind a bit because of an update failure it will be less dire than being stuck with an old version which is wholly incompatible, as was the case this time. I doubt we'll see another transition like this for years, so while I'm sorry you ran into trouble it should be easier going forward. Cheers! :)

• sascha2015
    sascha2015
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everybody,

first of all great compliment to the folks of agile bits.... Very fast and competent help ! To my complete astonishment, a "clean" install helped:

Here's what to do to fix that:

Quit Firefox.

Drag Firefox from your Applications folder to the Trash, then Empty Trash.

Download a fresh copy of Firefox, probably a disk image named Firefox 57.0.dmg.

Open that downloaded disk image (e.g. by double-clicking it), then drag Firefox to your Applications folder.
    Important: Do not open Firefox directly from the disk image.

Open Firefox from your Applications folder, then test the 1Password extension.
    If the extension still isn't working, restart your Mac and test it again. And if that doesn't do the trick, please send a new diagnostics report and we'll continue troubleshooting this for you.

Thanks Scott & Brenty!

Regards Sascha :) ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@sascha2015: Thanks, Sascha! I think Scott gets most of the credit for some of that sleuthing, but you're totally welcome. Just glad you're back up and running, and really appreciate you following up here as well. I suspect that may help others in the future. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.