1Password not unlocking on iPhone (6s)

Physioz
Physioz
Community Member

I use 1P on my iMac, MacBook, iPad and iPhone and the master password is working perfectly on the first three. Starting about two weeks ago my iPhone wouldn't accept my master password (and I seem to have lost the option of using a short pin). I have tried deleting 1Password from the phone, switching it off, then back on and re-installing 1Password - still can't get it to open. The master password is 100% correct - works perfectly on the other three devices. I think it is 1Password 7.03 (from my iPad). Help will be gratefully accepted!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Physioz: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! To be clear, just because you have it setup one way on some devices does not mean it will be the same on all of them. But since you're using a 1Password.com account, this should be pretty straightforward: if you sign into 1Password.com in your web browser, do you see all of your data there? If so, you can simply delete 1Password on your iPhone, reinstall it, and set it up with only your 1Password.com account. That way, you'll have the same Master Password there as well — and the same setup across all of your devices, if you are using only the account on those too. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Physioz
    Physioz
    Community Member

Hi Brenty. Thanks; but, I don't quite understand what you're saying there. I have had it working perfectly for ages on all four devices and ALL four with the same master password and syncing using my 1Password.com account. Suddenly, a fortnight or so back, the iPhone wouldn't accept the master password?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Physioz That certainly does sound strange! However, 1Password doesn't just change your Master Password under any circumstances. If your Master Password had been changed, it wouldn't work on your other devices, which makes us think that something about your iPhone's 1Password configuration has changed. Without revealing any personally-identifying information here in this public forum, can you look at 1Password in your other devices and see what you have set up there? Do you have only your 1password.com account/vaults? Or do you also have a standalone vault on those devices as well (would be called "Primary" or "Default", depending on where you look). If you have local vaults, are they synced with one another and if so by what method? iCloud? Dropbox? Something else?

• Physioz
    Physioz
    Community Member

@Lars. Yip, strange indeed. I have the four devices all linked/syncing via a 1Password.com account. Well, at least they were until my iPhone decided it didn't like my master password anymore. I have just checked my iPad, Imac, MacBook and they all open 1Password with the same unchanged master password. For some reason my iPhone doesn't like it - the only thing I can think of that's changed since it (1Password on the iPhone) last worked is an iOS update but at this point, I'm not even sure when that was. Also, until recently I had the option of using a passcode on the iPhone. That option is no longer available (it may be because the phone has been switched on and off several times and I think that when first switching it on 1Password requires the master password before giving the option of being opened with a passcode)? Very frustrating

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Physioz: It sounds like you just have a very different setup on the iPhone for whatever reason. When you say you were using a passcode, do you mean for unlocking your iPhone, or 1Password?

If you have all of your data on one of your other devices, it seems like the best thing to do would be to start over with 1Password on the iPhone and sync the data over from there so you have the exact same setup across all your devices.

• Physioz
    Physioz
    Community Member

@Brenty. You've missed what I said right at the start. I have now removed 1Password 2x from my iPhone and re-downloaded it from the app store (after switching my phone off completely and then back on). In order to set it up, again, on the phone I used my 1Password.com details which work fine and 1password is then open with all my data. However, the moment I close 1Password on the phone after the re-install I am unable to open again with my master password. This exact master password works perfectly on my Mac, MacBook and iPad all of which have exactly the same information in them as the phone (I checked the iphone when 1Password was open immediately after the re-install).

To re-iterate: the problem is NOT that the data is not there, or different to the other three devices. It's all there synced via 1Password.com. However, I can't open 1 Password on the phone once I've logged out of it after the re-install.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Physioz: Thanks for clarifying. That's much clearer. :)

I just don't have any way of knowing if you've also got local vaults setup on some devices, which would mean 1Password will use a different Master Password to unlock. In that spirit, please generate a diagnostic report for each device so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is causing this:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send them to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#CJD-19728-867]

If you’re reading this and you are not Physioz, this Support ID is for Physioz only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: CJD-19728-867

This discussion has been closed.