To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

App Store vs Standalone vs Subscription = Confused

Options
Simon_G
Simon_G
Community Member

Hi there, I have just seen 1Password upgrade to v6.6 on my Mac App Store and the update comment has confused me. Forgive my ignorance as I have been a simple user of 1Password on my iPhone and Mac for a couple of years and have not followed the forums or Agile Bits website.

I bought 1Password from the iOS App Store and the Mac App Store at the time that they cost money (around December 2013). I think iOS was £5 and Mac was around £30. I use the iCloud sync option currently.

This latest update has confused me. Specifically the comment in the update that says:

If you purchased 1Password before this change you will not see any differences and will not be required to subscribe to 1Password.com. Of course we hope you choose to sign up, it really is the best way to use 1Password today.

My questions are:

• Will I continue to receive software updates or do I have to subscribe?
  • If I do continue to get software updates why would I want to switch to the subscription when I have already paid?

Sorry if I am being dumb!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Simon_G - It's great to hear from you and I'll do my best at addressing your questions below -

Will I continue to receive software updates or do I have to subscribe?

Yes, we will issue software updates if you prefer to continue with using your standalone license.

If I do continue to get software updates why would I want to switch to the subscription when I have already paid?

That's a great question! With our new 1Password.com accounts all of our apps are included (Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android) even future paid upgrades since it's built into the monthly pricing. You can also access your 1Password data from any device via the web. There is no sync set up required since we take care of all the syncing on our end. We also fully encrypt your data for recovery purposes using a randomized Account Key in conjunction with your master password. If you add a new device to the mix, you just have to sign in using your account details and your data will already be there waiting for you - like magic! We include a 30 day free trial if you're curious about giving our new accounts a test drive :-)

There's no need to apologize for asking questions. We're more than happy to help, we're here for you!

• Simon_G
    Simon_G
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Frank . Thanks for the clarification. I see from the website that I can have a family option so I will have a think

• Frank
    Options

You're very welcome @Simon_G :+1:

Keep us posted if you have any questions regarding 1Password Families, we'll be happy to help.

• majacmun
    majacmun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Ok, so I am running trial version on iOS (iPad and iPhone) and get message to subscribe for £3.49. First up, price on website is $2.49 - why the massive difference? Secondly, I have installed 1Password on my Mac also. If I do Not subscribe will I lose functionality on aii my devices? What are the benefits of taking out a subriction?

• Frank
    Options

Hi @majacmun - Great questions and I'll be happy to help!

Due to the way the App Store operates, we can only offer a "monthly" option to subscribe. If you subscribe via our website, we also include an "annual" billing cycle in addition to "monthly" which is why there is a difference in pricing. When you subscribe annually, you save a little more money over the course of the year. Sorry for the confusion there.

With our new 1Password.com accounts all of our apps are included (Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android) even future paid upgrades since it's built into the monthly pricing. You can also access your 1Password data from any device via the web. There is no sync set up required since we take care of all the syncing on our end. We also fully encrypt your data for recovery purposes using a randomized Account Key in conjunction with your master password. If you add a new device to the mix, you just have to sign in using your account details and your data will already be there waiting for you - like magic! We include a 30 day free trial giving you a chance to test drive all the features before having to pay for anything.

If you choose not to subscribe after the 30 day trial, the account will freeze. You will still have access to all your data (we would never lock you out) but you won't be able to edit or have access to certain features. I hope this helped and let us know if you have any additional questions. Enjoy the rest of your day!

• majacmun
    majacmun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I have just tried subscribing through the app, but get message saying that I will be billed for 1 month at £3.49 How do I get the annual option and how much will that option cost me? ($2.49/month?)

Regards,

Moray Munro

• Frank
    Options

Hi @majacmun - You're welcome! I just checked your account and it looks like you actually signed up via our website.

You can log into your account here - https://my.1Password.com > Click on your name in the upper right hand side > Select Billing from the drop down menu.

Our Individual account is $2.99 per month when billed annually ($35.88 per year USD) or $3.99 per month. Keep me posted if this helped and let us know if you have any further questions :+1:

• majacmun
    majacmun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Frank,

Thanks, but is there a way to copy my account key - lots of options for errors if I write it down and type it back in.......

• Frank
    Options

Hi @majacmun - You can copy it from your Mac but not on iOS at the moment. If you set up your Individual account on your Mac, I will include a link below on how to locate your account key to copy it -

https://support.1password.com/account-key/#if-you-added-your-account-to-the-1password-app

Once you enter your account key into the browser, it should cache it so you don't have to keep re-enter it every-time you log into the account. As long as you don't clear your browsing history. The Account Key is also listed on your Emergency Kit and there is a space to write in your Master Password too. Make sure you keep this in a safe & secure location.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

And if you have the Emergency Kit there is a QR code (the square array of dots) available, which you can just scan on an iOS device. You have to enter your Master Password manually, of course.

• Frank
    Options

Good point @danco, thank you for the assist! Happy Friday! :+1:

• aleviga
    aleviga
    Community Member
    Options

Hallo, can anyone tell me the difference between a standalone license or a subscription one?
    Ex: If I'm using a mac and an iPhone, can I use the standalone easily?
    Thanx

• Jacob
    Options

@aleviga I'd be happy to. We've got a great article with everything I could say on the topic:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I'd recommend the subscription since it'll make things even easier — to set up a new device, all you have to do is download 1Password and sign in to your account in the app. :)

• Aristophanes
    Aristophanes
    Community Member
    Options

Call me confused as well, because on the AgileBits website the monthly plan pricing is different than the App Store pricing.

I already have the App Store version, standalone, so if I move to subscription, how does that work?

Worse, I am on iCloud, wife is on Dropbox.

• Ben
    Options

@Aristophanes

Call me confused as well, because on the AgileBits website the monthly plan pricing is different than the App Store pricing.

That is because Apple's price is when billed monthly, whereas our price is the monthly price when billed annually. It is less expensive to be billed annually (by 20%).

I already have the App Store version, standalone, so if I move to subscription, how does that work?

A 1Password.com subscription account is a separate offering from our standalone apps, but it does work with them. You'll keep the same app installed and migrate your existing setup to an account following these instructions:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

If you'd like to discuss your specific case in further detail please feel free to drop us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com and then post the ID you get back from BitBot here.

Worse, I am on iCloud, wife is on Dropbox.

With an account you're no longer at the mercy of 3rd party sync services. So that would be resolved, so far as 1Password is concerned.

Thanks!

Ben

• ashlyn_terhune
    ashlyn_terhune
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I purchased the 1Password app on my mac for $50.00 (or $49.99 I can't seem to remember) and it never prompted me to make an online account, but I am unable to use the app on any browser until I sign into a 1Password account. I just created a new account on your website and now it is telling me that I have a 30 day trial period until my account expires, what do I do? I purchased the app last year thinking that I could just pay the one time fee, but I will have to go somewhere else if I have to keep continuing the payment in order to use the app!

• @ashlyn_terhune : It sounds like you purchased the standalone app. You shouldn't need an account to do anything. I would have to see exactly which message you're seeing that's telling you that you need an account to use 1Password in a browser. In general doing so without an account is as simple as:

• Install 1Password on the Mac
    • Add the license to the Mac if needed (in a lot of cases it automatically happens)
    • Install our browser extension

We can for sure help you through this, we'll just need more information on where things went wrong. Is this a new device? An existing device?

Rick

• Baggins
    Baggins
    Community Member
    Options

I see questions on this topic (App Store vs Standalone) but no answers
    Is this an AgileBits support blog or a waste of time?

• Ben
    Options

@Baggins

What can we do to help?

Ben

• Baggins
    Baggins
    Community Member
    Options

thanks.
    my ad blocker is the issue
    1Blocker blocked 1password!