General Vault Setup & Master vs Vault Passwords Question

BPohl09
BPohl09
Community Member

First off, going on 3 years of 1Pass and want to thank you guys for creating a great product! It's really been a game changer for me. I now want to change the setup of my vaults and account for the first time since I purchased my license and was hoping to get some advice on how to go about doing this. I was still rather confused after sifting through the forums so I'm going to try to be as detailed as possible and thanks in advance for anyone who can offer any insight help!

Current Setup & Licensing
I have 1Password for both Windows and Mac (I posted here because I'm less concerned about how Windows works and more about Mac going forward) as well as the 1Pass Pro paid app for iOS on my iPhone. I currently have two vaults (Work and Personal) that are synced via Dropbox across my devices.

Goals & Questions
My two vaults were created with the same password and this is also the password I use to login to the 1Pass application on my Mac. Does this mean my master password is the same as my vault passwords? Is the notion of a master password a separate password from my vault passwords? One of my vaults on Mac is deemed as the primary one I believe, this is the one I setup 1Pass with initially while the other I think is considered a secondary vault. In reading about a master password, it appears this is a different concept if you have a subscription 1Pass account which I do not (at one point I signed up a trial of the 1Pass Teams with my work email but decided to stick with the standalone applications which are through my personal email). So I think I can safely ignore anything related to subscription accounts as I only use the standalone applications on each device.

I'd like to change my vault passwords basically and am unsure if this is the same as my master password or how changing vault passwords will affect my master password? Also, vice versa: if I change my master password (if it is in fact different than my vault passwords) will that affect my synced vaults? Once I straighten all of this out with the passwords and change them, I'm also curious if I can achieve the same functionality in Windows as I have in OSX and iOS where one login will allow me to switch between my work and personal vault without needing to log back in and out of each one as I do now.

Sorry if this is confusing, please let me know if I can clarify anything or provide more info. Again, thanks in advance for any help!

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@BPohl09: Thanks for reaching out, and for the kind words! Glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password. :chuffed:

My two vaults were created with the same password and this is also the password I use to login to the 1Pass application on my Mac. Does this mean my master password is the same as my vault passwords?

1Password uses the Master Password of the first vault/account setup in it for unlocking.

Is the notion of a master password a separate password from my vault passwords?

Ideally you'd use a single long, strong, unique Master Password for any vaults, but historically, when sharing vaults (like with Dropbox), that wasn't always an option. With a 1Password.com membership, the account has a single Master Password, rather than individual vaults within.

One of my vaults on Mac is deemed as the primary one I believe, this is the one I setup 1Pass with initially while the other I think is considered a secondary vault.

Yep! In that case, the Master Password of the Primary vault will be the one used to unlock the app.

In reading about a master password, it appears this is a different concept if you have a subscription 1Pass account which I do not (at one point I signed up a trial of the 1Pass Teams with my work email but decided to stick with the standalone applications which are through my personal email). So I think I can safely ignore anything related to subscription accounts as I only use the standalone applications on each device.

Indeed, if you're not using a 1Password.com account, there are some things which won't apply when using only local vaults.

I'd like to change my vault passwords basically and am unsure if this is the same as my master password or how changing vault passwords will affect my master password?

Changing the Master Password for the primary vault will change the one used to unlock the app. If you change the secondary vault's Master Password, you will not need that for unlock...but you will need it any time you need to setup that vault on a new device.

Also, vice versa: if I change my master password (if it is in fact different than my vault passwords) will that affect my synced vaults?

Yes. You'll need to unlock with the "old" Master Password first, but once everything syncs you can use the new one.

Once I straighten all of this out with the passwords and change them, I'm also curious if I can achieve the same functionality in Windows as I have in OSX and iOS where one login will allow me to switch between my work and personal vault without needing to log back in and out of each one as I do now.

That's possible in 1Password for Windows version 6, which works with a 1Password.com account, and 1Password 7 will add support for local vaults as well.

Sorry if this is confusing, please let me know if I can clarify anything or provide more info. Again, thanks in advance for any help!

Likewise, I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions! :)

ref: LTH-65487-575

• BPohl09
    BPohl09
    Community Member

@brenty Awesome thanks for help and parsing through all of that. So does this mean if I change my Master Password in the OSX Application (by going to Preferences -> Security -> Change Master Password) that it will be changing the password of my primary vault and not affect the secondary vault at all correct? And then it looks like the Windows application I have (v4.6.2.626) does not use the notion of a primary vault and so by logging into the vault that my Mac deems as secondary on my Windows machine, I can then go to change the Master Password and it will change my secondary vault password. Would that be correct? Also, is there a way to upgrade my Windows version or do the newer appications only work with 1password.com accounts?

I think that seems like the way forward for me, thanks again for all of your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome thanks for help and parsing through all of that. So does this mean if I change my Master Password in the OSX Application (by going to Preferences -> Security -> Change Master Password) that it will be changing the password of my primary vault and not affect the secondary vault at all correct?

@BPohl09: Correct. If you select a secondary vault though, the "Change Master Password" button will change to "Change Master Password for X vault" instead to make it clear that's what you're doing.

And then it looks like the Windows application I have (v4.6.2.626) does not use the notion of a primary vault and so by logging into the vault that my Mac deems as secondary on my Windows machine, I can then go to change the Master Password and it will change my secondary vault password. Would that be correct?

Yep! 1Password for Windows version 4 works with a single vault at a time, so unlocking and/or changing the Master Password will apply to the vault currently in use.

Also, is there a way to upgrade my Windows version or do the newer appications only work with 1password.com accounts?

1Password for Windows version 6 works only with 1Password.com accounts, but 1Password 7 will support local vaults as well.

I think that seems like the way forward for me, thanks again for all of your help!

Sure thing! And we're here if you have any other questions. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.