Are passwords created by the Password Generator stored anywhere and if so, where?

Options
rgevans871
rgevans871
Community Member

I have trouble using Password Generator for changing a credit union password which they require me to do every so many days. I clicked on Password Generator in the mini and the clicked on fill which it did at the credit union site and when I clicked on submit it asked if I wanted to update and I clicked update. Everything looked good. I logged out and then logged back in at my account which I was able to do, but the next day it wouldn't let me in. I followed the same procedure for my wife's account and I couldn't get back in after logging out and then trying to log back in. I'd like to know if these Password Generated passwords are archived anywhere so that perhaps I can look at the last two generated and put them in manually by doing an edit. It seems like someone previously told me where to find these when I had a similar problem before and they were all in sequential order. One of the posts I just looked at suggested to look in the password category, but when searching by date, there was nothing recent and these seemed to be passwords that were effectively saved, unlike the two I'm looking for. Using the password generator is a part of this application which doesn't seem to consistently work and when it doesn't it's a time consuming work around once I call the credit union to let me back in. Apparently it's not easily fixed or it would have fixed it by now.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Where are passwords created by Password Generator?

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options
  • @rgevans871,

Hopefully @pervel's suggestion helped you locate the password you were looking for. Thanks @pervel.

Rudy

• rgevans871
    rgevans871
    Community Member
    Options

@Pervel's post was helpful. I had not noticed that option in the login site box before, but it turned out to be that this changing a password is not working very well for me. When looking at 'previously used passwords', I found two on the day that I attempted to change the password for this site. I made a guess that it was the first one of the two listed and clicked on 'copy' and pasted it into the sites password box and after clicking submit, I had the 1Password box appear that asked if I wanted to 'Save' the login info. and I clicked 'Save', but it didn't. I then went into 1Password to this sites box again selected the password that worked from 'previously used password', clicked on copy and then clicked on 'edit' in the sites box, but found out that when doing edit for this site, I couldn't paste the selected password into the password box after the unuseable one was removed. So, I had to write it down and then type it back into the password box. I had to write it down because you can't call previously used passwords up when in the edit mode. Obviously the design of the system wasn't to make it easy to move passwords around when Password Generator screws up. I don't know how many other sites I would have trouble with Password Generator because this is the only I'm required to change the password and so I very seldom change my passwords. If I had this problem at other sites, I suspect I would have to look for another Password Manager. As I said before 1Password has a lot of things to like, but Password Generator is not one of them.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

@rgevans871: It doesn't sound like it's the password generator that's the problem here. Rather it is the saving of the new password that doesn't do what you expect. Is it possible that you're creating a new login for the site instead of updating the existing login?

Take a look at the following article to see how it's supposed to work: https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/

It also sounds like the site is deliberately preventing your from pasting the new password. That is something you should complain to the specific site about. Tell them that they are making it difficult to use their site with a password manager and thereby lowering security for the users.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rgevans871: Pervel may be right, but the other thing your description reminds me of are websites with strangely-coded forms which do user-unfriendly things like preventing you from pasting. I may have misunderstood though. Some sites will also accept a long password on one page, where you save it, but then another page will only accept part of it, which can cause some trouble.

It isn't clear to me from your comments exactly what problem you're having with generating passwords, so if you'll clarify maybe there's something I can suggest. But more generally, this guide may help you when it comes to changing passwords on websites:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

We can't account for the behaviour of all sites, but if you'll let me know more about where you're having trouble and what's happening there may be something we can do to improve it. :)

• rgevans871
    rgevans871
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your input. I think the problem must have something to do with the site. I've got the password changed at least in the account I use the most at this site, so I think I'll let it go for now since I don't change passwords often and the Password Generator has been working when installing a password at a new site. Your support is one of things that I really appreciate about 1Password. Thanks again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rgevans871 On behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome! Thanks for the kind words -- we enjoy helping our users be successful in their use of 1Password; you guys are an awesome bunch. :)

This discussion has been closed.