When removing team members how do i reset all shared passwords they had access to?

Members of my organization have unblinded access to passwords on shared accounts so when they leave we must individually change all passwords that they had access to? Can someone recommend a better way to do this? How can my employees use this tool and shared passwords without having to change all shared passwords when they leave?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:When removing team members how do i reset all shared passwords they had access to?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ericpahl: Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately the reality is that when you share a secret with someone, there is no way to unshare it. The only thing you can do is revoke their access and change these secrets — the passwords — so they don't know the new ones. All websites have different processes for changing passwords, so there is no way to automate this. We're working on additional auditing features in 1Password Teams so that you can get a better sense of what they'd accessed, to try to triage which accounts need to be changed, but ultimately the best thing you can do is not share secrets needlessly: give people access to only what is necessary. That helps you not only have less work in a situation like this, but also improves operational security by minimizing exposure if someone's system is compromised because they click on a malicious link in an email or something. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• ericpahl
    ericpahl
    Community Member

Yes, that helps. Good to know that the team is working on a way to audit access in order to understand which secrets need to be changed after a team member leaves. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ericpahl: Likewise, thanks for letting us know you'd be interested in such a feature. I'm not sure how things will pan out, but it's something we're really interested in for 1Password Teams as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.