To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

iPhone X app has locked me out

Options
Oneweight
Oneweight
Community Member

HI - I just setup an account on my phone over a week ago, used Face ID and a master password. All was working fine. I just tried to login on the phone app and there is no FaceID available and it will not take my master password. I have tried multiple times. No luck. Why am I locked out? Do I have to buy a membership now or what is the deal?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Oneweight: 1Password does not "lock you out" of the app regardless of whether you have a 1Password.com membership or not. It doesn't know your Master Password or care what it is, but since it is needed to decrypt the data stored there, it will need to be entered correctly in order to unlock it.

(Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out” permanently, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Keep in mind that you will need to enter the Master Password for the first vault/account setup in the app, which could be different from the Master Password you setup elsewhere. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• emes
    emes
    Community Member
    Options

This has happened to me several times. I'm a long time user/beta tester.

iPhone X running iOS 11.2

You install the app. Say yes to FaceID. Everything works for a few days, and then no more FaceID, and it will not accept your master password. Your only choice is to delete and reinstall the app.

My phone is actually in this state right now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@emes: Thanks for letting us know. Which version are you using?

• emes
    emes
    Community Member
    Options

v7.0.3

I have log output captured while in this state. I'm happy to send, though not sure it will be helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@emes: That would be great! Please send the diagnostics report and any other 1Password logs to support@agilebits.com

Let me know once you've sent it. Thanks in advance!

ref: WKY-91421-972

• emes
    emes
    Community Member
    Options

Um. So, figured it out. It's looking for my 1Password Family account master password rather than my vault password. That's not the behavior in the MacOS app. An wasn't in the iOS app, or I'm loosing my mind, or is that a change I missed? I thought the account master password was only used to connect to the account on the first install. That's a "shared" password amongst the account members, so would be odd.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@emes: Thanks for the update! The thing is that it depends entirely on how you set it up. If you setup 1Password with only a 1Password.com account from the start, that's the Master Password you will need to use to unlock it. But if you setup a Primary (local) vault there, its Master Password will be used to unlock. That's why we recommend using a 1Password.com membership by itself, or using the same strong Master Password: no multiple Master Passwords to mix up. Sorry for the confusion.

This discussion has been closed.