1Password X - Auto Login

The extension is very slick but I have two questions:

1. It doesn't auto login after filling. This is a big drawback compared to standard extension...am I missing something or is this expected behaviour?

2. Can you add an option to always stay logged in? I lock my computer so find the time limit to lock in the extension a bit annoying...would be nice to have option to not lock.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

1Password Version: 6.8.5.BETA-2
Extension Version: 1.3
OS Version: OSX 10.13.2
Sync Type: Team

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The extension is very slick but I have two questions:

@rickskynet: Thanks for saying so, and sure thing! :)

It doesn't auto login after filling. This is a big drawback compared to standard extension...am I missing something or is this expected behaviour?

Sorry for the confusion! This is not possible with 1Password X currently. It may be something we can do in a future version, but in the mean time you can use 1Password for Mac and its extension, or press Return to submit the login form.

Can you add an option to always stay logged in? I lock my computer so find the time limit to lock in the extension a bit annoying...would be nice to have option to not lock.

We don't have any plans to do this. That would require storing your Master Password (or equivalent) somewhere on disk since it is needed to decrypt the data, and that isn't something we're going to do unless we can ensure its security. The only place that isn available currently is iOS, since we can use the Secure Enclave there, which no apps can access.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Likewise, thank you for the feedback, and your passion for 1Password! :chuffed:

• rickskynet
    rickskynet
    Community Member

Appreciate the quick response. Would be much appreciated if it could auto login. Recently Mirgrated from lastpass and we really like the convenience as a lot of our websites don’t login when we hit return and therefore require a mouse click.

Will revert to the old extension for now. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! There's a lot of other stuff we want to add to 1Password X at this early stage, but we'll keep this i mind. Thanks for the feedback! :chuffed:

• One thing that might help you @rickskynet is we always try to leave focus in the page field (usually the password) after filling. This allows you to avoid the mouse click in most cases and just press the enter key instead.

• c__
    c__
    Community Member

Can you add an option to always stay logged in? I lock my computer so find the time limit to lock in the extension a bit annoying...would be nice to have option to not lock.

Me too! :-)

We don't have any plans to do this. That would require storing your Master Password (or equivalent) somewhere on disk since it is needed to decrypt the data,

I don't think that's true — the application just needs to keep the Master Password (or key) in memory, the same as it must do prior to the time limit expiring. The behavior would be identical to the time limit behavior, just without the time limit!

Disk simply isn't a factor. (Hibernate — suspend-to-disk — is a concern, but I don't see how a time limit protects you from that.)

and that isn't something we're going to do unless we can ensure its security.

That makes complete sense and I'm in full agreement with you on that — I just think it's unrelated to the feature request.

Thanks,
    A customer who would also like to disable the time limit

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @c__ (and @rickskynet),

1Password X has the ability to disable auto-lock although I don't know when it was added.

1. Click the 1Password button in the browser toolbar.
    2. Click the cog icon.
    3. Select Settings from the small menu now visible.
    4. Disable the setting titled Automatically lock 1Password.

If that isn't what people are after please do correct me.

• c__
    c__
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables , I would like 1Password X to lock the device if it goes to sleep. But not after any timeout. Currently, de-selecting "Automatically lock 1Password" disables both, unfortunately.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something we can consider, but it would add complexity, both for users and for development and testing, so there would need to be a compelling benefit, and not just for a few people.

• c__
    c__
    Community Member

@janxb I do so, but 17 hours is a far cry from ∞. 😂

@brenty Understood. The proposed UX actually seems simpler to me, but I am a software developer, so take that with a huge grain of salt.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I do so, but 17 hours is a far cry from ∞. 😂

Sure, but we have no plans to have 1Password stay unlocked forever. Then what would be the point? You might as well use a spreadsheet. ;)

Understood. The proposed UX actually seems simpler to me, but I am a software developer, so take that with a huge grain of salt.

Yeah, there are always complications, eh? :lol: Indeed, that's party of the reason we don't have additional controls for stuff like this. If we can't get it working reliably, it's better not to have it. And operating within the browser's sandbox poses some fun challenges. We'll keep at it though. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.