App disappeared after restore from iTunes backup

Options
dohc76
dohc76
Community Member

I just updated to an iPhone 8 running iOS 11 from an iPhone7 running 10.3.3. I did do a complete backup and saved it to an alternate location before updating. I then updated and transferred to the new phone. I am not sure what version of 1Password I was running but it was certainly at least version 4. After restoring my new iPhone 8 shows it is running 1Password version 7 and all of my data is MIA. I apparently do not have it syncing to anything. I have another phone running 10.3.3 that I restored the backup file created from the iPhone7 while it was running 10.3.3 and while it was installing the app the app suddenly disappeared from the screen. I still have the old version 3 app on the phone in a folder and that is still there. When I transferred from an iPhone 5s to the iPhone 7 I had no issue like this. I assume my data file is in my backup file created with iTunes - is there any way to get that data? I am baffled at this point.

1Password Version: various
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.3 and 11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dohc76
    dohc76
    Community Member
    Options

I meant 11.2.1 not 11.3

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dohc76

Unfortunately we’ve found the iTunes backup process to not be super reliable when it comes to app data. I’m not entirely sure why. In some cases we’ve heard reports from customers that restoring the same iTunes backup a second time will sometimes restore the data. Strange, and doesn’t work in all cases, but it may be worth a shot of you don’t have an alternative.

Because of issues like this we built a backup system into 1Password itself, but it is a manual process:

1Password backups

Please let us know how you make out.

Ben

• dohc76
    dohc76
    Community Member
    Options

Trying that now. Would having the older version 3 possibly be causing some conflict issue? This is the "only" app of many on my phone that is having any kind of issue. Not impossible to recover from just a royal pain - mostly self inflicted.

• Ben
    Options

1Password 3 is a totally different (and essentially unrelated) app from modern 1Password as far as the App Store and iPhone are concerned.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.