how do it add new categories - high sierra iMac

Options
Ozzie
Ozzie
Community Member

I can not how to add new categories.
Can I login in to a online account (example: credit card) from my category - Credit Cards?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how do I add new categories

Comments

• Ozzie
    Ozzie
    Community Member
    Options

I can not not figure out how to add categories.
    Can I log into an online account (example: a credit card company) from my Credit Card category?

1Password Version: 6.8.4 Mac App Store
    Extension Version: (684000)
    OS Version: mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:how do I add new categories

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ozzie: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It isn't possible to have an item of one type act like another: Logins can fill login credentials, Credit Cards can fill payment information, and Identities can fill contact info. We'd like to make it possible to create custom categories in the future, but the challenge is making them useful since 1Password won't know what to do with a "Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe" item you decide to create — and all of the apps would need to be updated to support things like this. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• henrymj
    henrymj
    Community Member
    Options

Why not just exclude a created category from all other functions of the app, but make one or more available to hold data as references? E.g. I would like a category that does not function along normal 1PW lines that allows me to save old items such as old bank account info or credit cards or passport data, etc. etc. It would not function but would come up in a search of the data base, and allow access to the information associated with what had been previously an active record.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@henrymj We've got some ideas brewing regarding custom categories, but nothing to share currently. However, you can accomplish what you're suggesting right now, by creating a new vault and giving it the title Archives (or whatever seems best to you), and then excluding this from the All Vaults view. If you're on a Mac, you can choose which vaults are displayed in All Vaults and which have to be selected specifically in order to appear in search, by visiting Preferences > All Vaults. I hope that'll work for you; I find it the perfect solution for just that issue (old data).

• henrymj
    henrymj
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars. Thanks. Sounds like a plan...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@henrymj :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.