Can I use a previous iCloud Vault or iTunes backup (and previous password)?

Options
xtiansimon
xtiansimon
Community Member

I'm screwed! Just before the recent update, I changed my Master Password. I was saving a lot of secure data for a new computer system install (ie. BIOS admin password, root password) and I wanted to use a simpler code which didn't use shift, and number shift on iPhone. Then, the new iOS update added a feature which skipped the Master Password if you typed the pin code correctly. Previously, the pin code feature would reset everytime you quit 1Password.

Low and behold, I typed that fracking pin code correctly for a month, until today. And now what I think is my Master Password isn't working. I have over 270 individual records. Starting over just sickens me.

Can I recover some of my Vault if I can target an older backup --with the previous password????

(all the software is up-to-date, and using the latest version.)

1Password Version: 7.03
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.2.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Can I use a previous iCloud Vault or iTunes backup (and previous password)?

Comments

• xtiansimon
    xtiansimon
    Community Member
    Options

1Password lets you use the iPhone's numeric keypad to enter a short code rather than your normal password.
    After the recent update, this feature is persistent between restart/shutdown and application quit.
    And I've been using this feature almost continually since it was enabled.

Yesterday I made a mistake and was kicked down to the 1Password vault password, and it didn't work!
    Seems I forgot the original password.

1Password Version: 5.01
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: ios 11.2.1
    Sync Type: icloud

• xtiansimon
    xtiansimon
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Holy shnikes! What's going on? This is what happened to me. I can't access my vault with my Master Password after I goofed the pin. I also have the standalone app on my iPhone (5s). I tried reinstalling the app on IOS.

Is this a bug??? Or an announcement of a fix?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xtiansimon: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that. (Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Do you have your data somewhere else? Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xtiansimon: I'm not sure what you mean by "announcement", but I've merged your posts together to avoid confusion while we troubleshoot your issue in a single discussion rather than across multiple. Let me know what you find.

• xtiansimon
    xtiansimon
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

The other post, which my last comment was migrated from, suggested it was possible to enter the correct master password and not gain access. I'm in a process of eliminating non-functioning password possibilities. And I have lost confidence in the 1Password application to respond to the correct password.
    1) How can I troubleshoot the possibility 1Password is not rejecting a correct password?
    2) And when I say "forgot" my Master Password, what I really mean is I'm not certain because I simplified my password for entry into iPhone --[word1][word2]123 instead of [word1]321[word2]--while keeping the same basic password; My hint says as much "New version of word1 password"; I am certain to enter the correct password.
    3) Can I restore a previous version of my "Vault" to a state when I used the previous password?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2017
    Options

The only instances of something like that which I can think of would be cases where:

1) A “Primary” vault exists and 1Password requires the Master Password for that vault to unlock, instead of the Master Password for a 1Password.com account.
    2) Multiple 1Password.com accounts have been signed in. When this happens 1Password unlocks with the Master Password of the first account added.
    3) The password was being entered incorrectly (either due to typo, not actually knowing the correct Master Password, or some sort of input difficulty).

Since it doesn’t sound like you’re using a 1Password.com account at all (OP indicates sync via iCloud) it would seem to eliminate 1 & 2.

You can troubleshoot the possibility of an input difficulty by typing what you think is the correct Master Password into the Notes app, and then copying & pasting the result (if it appears correctly) into 1Password.

As for your question regarding a backup... Do you have such a backup? If so that may be possible.

1Password backups

And I have lost confidence in the 1Password application to respond to the correct password.

I would think if that were the case we’d be hearing a lot of reports about it, but we aren’t. Certainly if you can come up with anything we can go on that would back that up please let us know. Steps to reproduce the problem would be ideal, if such a problem does exist.

Ben

ref: ACB-94493-114

• xtiansimon
    xtiansimon
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

As for your question regarding a backup... Do you have such a backup? If so that may be possible

I backed up my iPhone to. It’s my computer and iCloud regularly. I hope there is copy.

Please elaborate.
    1) Using which application (desktop trial, iOS purchase) will this be possible?
    2) How to target the Vault? Locally? Or placed onto a cloud location?

I would think if that were the case we’d be hearing a lot of reports about it.

Sure. In the age of the ‘bubble’ would I be hearing about it? Hahah.

• Tully
    Tully
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @xtiansimon,

I see where you've written in to our support email as well, so I'm going to suggest we take the conversation over there – this'll allow us to dig a little deeper into the specifics of your 1Password setup to see if we can't figure out what's going on here. You'll hear from me on email shortly!

ref: ACB-94493-114

This discussion has been closed.