Unable to Sync to iCloud

Options
TheMacMommy
TheMacMommy
Community Member

I worked with a client today and wanted to move her syncing from Dropbox to iCloud when I discovered it wouldn’t allow we to sync. I get an error on both iPhone 6 and iPad. The error is ” Failed to fetch some zones“ “1Password encountered a problem.” I did a search in these forums and found others were experiencing something different.

1Password Version: 6.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.0.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @TheMacMommy! Sorry to hear you experienced troubles while working with a client. Can I ask: did either your or your client manually remove 1Password data or mentions of 1Password in Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, perchance?

• TheMacMommy
    TheMacMommy
    Community Member
    Options

She would not know how to do that deliberately, but I suppose anything is possible. I’ll have to check when I see her again next week.

• Ben
    Options

Maybe in trying to free up some iCloud storage space? :) That is the most common cause of the error Lars mentioned. Out of curiosity, if syncing with Dropbox is working, what is the motivation for switching to syncing with iCloud?

We have a guide on troubleshooting issues with iCloud here:

If you're having trouble syncing with iCloud

Ben

• TheMacMommy
    TheMacMommy
    Community Member
    Options

The motivation for syncing to iCloud stems from something that happened to another senior client (a family member I provide tech support to). We techies tend to take things for granted - like using Dropbox - it is something obvious to a lot of us, but seniors don’t grok what it is or what it does. They are only starting to come to terms with what iCloud means. A while ago I set up Dropbox and 1Password for this family member - back when it was the only cloud syncing option. I also put some files and folders for them there. Then lots of time went by and one day we got to talking and I asked him about something Dropbox related and he said oh, by the way, several months ago I got some emails saying my Dropbox was going to be deactivated due to it not getting used so I just ignored it.

• mevin
    mevin
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi, i am also getting the same error "Failed to fetch some zones. 1Password encountered a problem.". I had 1Password on my iphone set to synced with my icloud account. I just restored my phone to ios 11, and installed the latest version of the app from the AppStore. I then created a new vault and tried to sync with icloud, but always fails. I tried installing the mac app from Mac Appstore and tried to sync using the same icloud, but it tells me icloud is not available. Please enable icloud to continue I can confirm both icloud and icloud drive is enabled, 1Password Mini is listed there. I have enough storage storage on my icloud and 1Password data is also present. I tried the icloud troubleshooting guide but still having the same issue.

Here are the logs from both my Mac and Iphone:
    [removed; please do not post logs here as these are public forums]

Is there a way to recover all my passwords except via icloud?

Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mevin,

Do you have access to your 1Password data on any of your devices currently?

Ben

• mevin
    mevin
    Community Member
    Options

No, i use only 1Password only on my iphone. I thought installing 1Password on my mac which uses the same icloud account, would retrieve all of my password but alas, in vain.

• Ben
    Options

@mevin,

Thanks for the update. As we discussed with TheMacMommy this error is most commonly caused by the data in iCloud becoming unavailable suddenly. Did you make any changes to your Apple ID / iCloud account recently? Are you sure you’re still signed into the same Apple ID for iCloud that has your 1Password data stored in it?

Ben

• mevin
    mevin
    Community Member
    Options

Yes i use only 1 icloud account everywhere and i have not made any changes. If the issue is with icloud, i can't understand how it worked with all the other apps i installed on my freshly restored phone. I am having this issue only with 1password. Im myself an ios developer, so i tried analysing the logs but could not understand the error returned from cloudkit about the zone or unable to modify the records.

• Ben
    Options

@mevin,

The best I could suggest at this point would be to run through this guide:

If you're having trouble syncing with iCloud

Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• mevin
    mevin
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, i'll try again. One quick question, when i install 1Password on my iphone, i have the option to choose from icloud ** or **setup a standalone vault and sync later. If i am restoring my iphone, which option you would recommend?

• Ben
    Options

@mevin,

It shouldn’t really make much difference, to be honest, which option you choose there. If you choose the latter option you can set up syncing after the fact under 1Password > Settings > Sync. If you have difficulty with the former route, I’d suggest giving the latter a try.

Ben

• mevin
    mevin
    Community Member
    Options

I did all the suggested solutions but it is still not working. Thanks for your support though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I did all the suggested solutions but it is still not working. Thanks for your support though.

@mevin: Can you elaborate? Ultimately we don't have any control over iCloud, but we do have some experience with it ourselves and may be able to recommend something. :)

• mevin
    mevin
    Community Member
    Options

-I deleted the app, then re-installed.
    -Tried rebooting the phone
    -Disabling and re-enabling icloud

On my mac, turned off icloud and re sign in again on icloud.
    -Tried sync on my mac but still fails

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mevin -- so, to be clear, you have all of your 1Password data in 1Password for iOS on your phone...it's just not syncing with iCloud? Is that the case? If so, then let's try resetting your iCloud data for 1Password. If you've still got iCloud enabled in 1Password for Mac on your Mac, switch it off. On your iPhone, in 1Password, go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Sync Service and click "Disable Sync" (in red at the bottom). Then go to Settings > Advanced and click "Erase iCloud Data" in red at the bottom. Wait a moment, then return to Settings > Sync > Primary and re-establish sync via iCloud. Let us know if that works for you.

• mevin
    mevin
    Community Member
    Options

NO i do not have any of my data locally since i restored to phone. So all of it is on icloud.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mevin - I'm not sure what to suggest to you. If you have (re)installed 1Password on your iPhone and your Mac, and you're certain that both of them are signed into iCloud using the same Apple ID as you originally used to create the data, but neither one is able to sync via iCloud, then your data may not be retrievable.

When you were using 1Password only on your phone and syncing via iCloud, did you make any backups of your data? There are two ways you could've done this: one is in 1Password itself, by going to Settings > Advanced > Create Backup and then saving the resultant backup file out to a desktop computer. The second way would have been through iTunes itself, or another backup utility such as iExplorer or iMazing. Do you have such backups available?

• mevin
    mevin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys, i did retry to connect using Icloud on my iphone today and it worked. I guess the issue was with icloud servers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mevin: That's really odd, but I'm glad to hear it. Thank you for the update! Please backup your data regularly just in case. Better safe than sorry!

This discussion has been closed.