1Password 7 status update

Bob_James
Bob_James
Community Member
edited November 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I haven't seen anything on version 7 since August. Any update?

_1Password Version: 4
_OS Version: Windows

Comments

• Hi @Bob_James,

Thanks for writing in.

Nothing that we can reveal at the moment. You can keep an eye on our progress via our changelog site that shows our beta updates. 1Password 7 Beta 1 is when we'll have more details about the progress on 1Password 7 and you'll see it first on that page.

Note that while we're working on 1Password 6.8 beta right now, 1Password 7 is a direct update to 1Password 6 with the additions of standalone vaults and licensing.

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member

Thansks MikeT,

"standalone vaults and licensing"

That's what i'm waiting for. I really, really don't like subscription software either.

• Hi @Bob_James,

You're welcome.

That's what i'm waiting for. I really, really don't like subscription software either.

Is there a specific reason you don't like the subscription "model" beside the cost, we'd like to hear your thoughts.

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member

No, just the cost of buying software over and over each year.

• Gotcha, thanks.

Just to clarify, 1Password 7 will not be a free upgrade, you'd still have to pay for each 1Password version, where you don't for 1Password.com service as all 1Password apps (and future versions) on all platforms are included. If you stop paying for 1Password.com, you'd still have access to your 1Password data, still use any 1Password apps but you can't modify until you renew. You can export if you wish.

• scott_savarese
    scott_savarese
    Community Member

For me, it isn't about cost. Its about where the data is stored. I personally don't want it on the cloud. There have been enough cloud breaches this year that have released my personal information to the world. I just don't want to trust another vendor with the keys to everything for me.

• Hi @scott_savarese,

We do understand and we're sorry to hear about that. We have no plans to take standalone vaults away. It's just that on Windows, we're doing a clean codebase with 1Password 6 with support added for 1Password.com accounts first since 1Password 4 has support for standalone vaults already. Now, we're in a better shape with 1Password 6, we're adding support for local vaults completely in 1Password 7.

I just don't want to trust another vendor with the keys to everything for me.

Except the difference is that we don't have your keys at all, all of your data is encrypted and decrypted locally. Your master password and secret keys are never ever transmitted to us in any shape. We store only the encrypted form of your data, which mean even if someone breaks into our servers, copy everything, they cannot do anything with it without figuring the combination of both your master password and secret key. Even more difficult, each account has a different master password and a secret key, so there's no one master key that breaks into all accounts.

Most of the data breaches wouldn't be a big issue if the actual data were encrypted. For an example, a certain credit company didn't encrypted their data or can't confirm they were based on their statements given to the US congress. There is no reason whatsoever that a single breach into their database would gain access to everyone's personal data. That nearly implies the data was never encrypted or they incorrectly encrypt everything with a single master key.

• scott_savarese
    scott_savarese
    Community Member

Thanks Mike. While I'm sure you guys have the encryption figured out, and don't have access, this is a theological thing for me "avoid the cloud where possible".

If 1Password 6 supported local vaults (and didn't copy them to your cloud), I'd pay the few dollars a month right now and then pay the full amount for 1Password 7 when it comes out.

• There are many customers who said the same thing, they would love to pay subscription simply for all 1Password apps, just get updates all the time but with standalone vaults only, no cloud storage. No need to hassle with licensing for each platform, download or install separate upgrades, deal with app stores, and so on. It makes sense, it allows for a sustainable model that allows for companies to invest into improving security and adding new features continuously.

There isn't an easy or perfect one-fit-all model as we're finding out but for now, we can try to accommodate by supporting both standalone licenses and subscriptions in the same apps.

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

Not this customer.

I've been using 1Password for a long time and I think it's a great tool. I use it on a daily basis on my Mac, Windows PC and mobile phone and definitely would not want to miss it. However, I will NEVER store my passwords on a public cloud server, regardless of how secure the provider tells me it is, nor will I buy my software via a subscription model. I don't mind purchasing a license, nor do I mind paying an annual support fee, but just to keep paying a fee to be able to access my data (=passwords) just feels wrong.

ps.
    I'm really looking forward to 1Password 7 for Windows. I really miss the multiple vaults feature of my Mac version on my Windows PC.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@RAPWare, thank you for chipping in! :+1:

We do not lock your data in 1Password account, even if you don't pay a subscription fee. Your account gets frozen, but you are always able to access your data. Your data is yours.

We believe that 1Password accounts (when your encrypted vault is stored on our servers) is the best way to use 1Password right now, because they provide the best experience for our new users. However, we understand there is a lot of power users, like you, who prefer local vaults and standalone licenses. For this reason we are planning to bring them back in 1Password 7 for Windows, so please stay tuned. :)

If there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to contact us anytime. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• @RAPWare I'm different, and the other model. I like a single fee, as many devices and updates as they come (I might be an exception at seven devices between work, home, and phone). Not so worried about the cloud as I am about having largely independent passwords and enough of a heads up to reset them if/when the site finally gets owned (and every site everywhere eventually gets owned). Hacking dropbox and looking for all the various password management application databases to slurp down seems more likely to me (e.g, 1Password, KeePass, spreadsheets named "password", etc).

• Yep, everyone has different needs or legal requirements that just cannot be met with one model, so we'll have both license/subscriptions for 1Password.

Once 1Password 7 for Windows is out, you could technically get a 1Password.com account and not store any highly-sensitive data in it, so that you could create standalone vaults instead. That way, you don't need to buy a license and get all 1Password apps and its future upgrades included as part of the subscription.

• Roanhouse
    Roanhouse
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

But the point is if i stop paying a monthly fee i lose access to my 1password vault if stored on a local machine then right? The reason i don't like monthly subscriptions is because I save my money to buy the software i need. I don't want to budget it into my fixed income poor living on partial assistance life while i'm going to school.

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

@Roanhouse

You never lose access to your 1Password Individual / Families / Teams data if you stop paying. Your account gets frozen which means the database becomes read only. You can view your passwords but can't edit them: unless you subscribe again.

In 1Password 7 you'll be given the choice of standalone (one-time purchase) versus subscription (ongoing).

When 1Password 8 is released you can either continue using 1Password 7 or pay, again, to upgrade to the latest version. If Microsoft make a change to Windows which stops 1Password 7 working then you could be forced to pay to upgrade to even view your own data! The subscription includes all upgrades for free.

In the standalone model you're also responsible for paying for the mobile apps on any devices you own; unless the free features are good enough for you. The mobile apps for all platforms are available for free for subscribers.

The same goes for a Mac. If you buy one, then you must purchase 1Password for that platform - unless you're a subscriber.

Finally you're responsible for keeping your own data safe. If you don't back it up, you'll lose it in the event of a fire/burglary/flood/data corruption. The subscription model takes care of this for you.

Remember that the 1Password cloud is more secure because it includes 2 Step security (the Secret Key). This is more secure than hosting your data on an external service like Dropbox because the 1Password cloud requires a hacker compromise several layers of security including the Secret Key which is never transmitted. When hosting with Dropbox a hacker just needs to compromise Dropbox and then crack your master password (I'm not saying it's easy; just easier).

It'll be your choice which model suits you best. No further information on release data or pricing is available.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @Roanhouse,

DarrenNZ is correct here: if you stop paying a monthly fee, your account gets frozen, but you will always be able to access your data. Please see this article in our knowledgebase, which explains the frozen state in more detail.

If you don't like subscriptions and prefer standalone licenses, please stay tuned for 1Password 7 for Windows. We will be happy to answer all of your additional questions, if you have them. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• meetajhu
    meetajhu
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT and @Greg

I can' t wait for 1Password 7. Ready to pay for the upgrade! I'm still using 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 on Mac

• You're welcome. We can't wait either, at least for all platforms to be on the same version number too. There is a lot of work being done across all of our teams and we hope we can align more closer soon.

• Qutrit
    Qutrit
    Community Member

Hello! Thanks a lot for your work. In deciding if I will continue with local vaults or if instead I will move to the subscription services, it would be useful to know how (even an estimate of) much the upgrade would cost from 1password 6/ 1password 4 to 1password7.

Thanks so much in advance!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Qutrit - Thanks for the question. And if people like greg and mike and me were responsible for those kind of pricing decisions, we might be able to give you a better answer. ;)

As it stands, however, what I can tell you is that historically, upgrade pricing for existing customers has been about 1/2 of the retail cost of a new license. Take that for what it's worth; it's been quite some time since we charged for an upgrade to either 1Password for Mac OR 1Password for Windows, so that may not be as sure a bet as it was in previous years.

In terms of pure cost-effectiveness, a lot depends upon how you're using 1Password. If you're part of a family that all use 1Password, especially if family members have a lot of different devices, you'll almost certainly be saving money with a 1Password Families membership, because every 1Password membership comes with unlimited access for all members to all four of our 1Password applications (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android). If you're a solo user who's only using 1Password on Windows, then there may be less or no savings when you compare the cost of occasional license upgrades (every 12-18 months or so) with the cost of an annual Individual subscription.

In general, if you assume that you'd be paying to upgrade a standalone license to new versions when they're released, then I would estimate the cost of doing so vs. subscription costs to be anywhere between more or less a wash (not much difference either way) to a significant savings for 1Password membership, particularly with 1Password Families. But like I cautioned at the beginning of this reply, pricing has not yet been released and release schedules aren't set in cement -- not even for 1Password 7 and certainly not (at this point) for future versions like 1Password 8, 9, etc. Hope that's helpful!

• scott_savarese
    scott_savarese
    Community Member

Any chance you can give us an update on timelines for 1Password 7? Even from a very high level would be nice.

• @scott_savarese: I always hate saying this, but no, we really can't. Of course, we have internal timelines and goals, but those are constantly changing based upon how things are going and what challenges we've encountered recently. What I say today may well be untrue tomorrow at this stage. We've found it's best to keep away from any specifics on a release date until the app is actually ready for release, otherwise there's a pretty good chance we'll turn ourselves into liars, even if we really thought we were being honest at the time. :unamused:

Now, that's not to say you'll hear nothing at all about 1Password 7 until it's released. We'll have some betas and will totally have news to share throughout that process, but timelines are ever changing and you'll likely not hear anything about a release date until we're much closer to launch. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but this is the best I can do right now. Keep an eye out for a beta announcement and we'll be sure to share as much as we can as we work through the testing process. :chuffed:

• sinfuljosh
    sinfuljosh
    Community Member

I came here hoping to find out that 1Password 7 for Windows was just around the corner and I would not be forced into a subscription plan that does nothing more than charge me repeatedly for things I already have access to via my one time purchases.

But the aggressive pushing of the subscription service makes me wonder about priorities.

The current standalone version of 1Password (v4) was released back in 2014, and at the time the one time cost was approx. $50 (just before announcing the subscription model the prices were increased to $65).

That one time $50 cost allows me to install it on “as many computers as I personally use”.
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/22428/how-many-computers-and-devices

The app on iOS is also free, but to unlock additional features it was $10 one time fee.

It’s been a while since I was still in school, so my math might be a little rusty. So far that’s $60 and that included all of my computers running Windows OS and my phone going back to 2014.

Since your subscription services has only been out 18 months. It would be unfair to point out that had you been offering that this option going back that far I would have paid $144 (because you bill annually remember).

But based on the avg time between major releases (majors version every 2 years) not to mention the discounted prices that were offered by you guys through third party bundle software sites (I’m assuming you stopped offering those by the way).

I’m still way ahead in Savings using the standard licensing model.

So tell me again why I should be paying $36 a year to be able to use the edge browser extension, because let’s face it, that is the only feature I cannot currently use via a standalone license and it doesn’t pass the smell test.

• For me, convenience. Sync is worry and hassle free. Constant updates, Ipad, androud, iphone, home win desktop, work win desktop, home win laptop, macbook. To each his own, but works fkr me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sinfuljosh - thanks for writing in. :)

I came here hoping to find out that 1Password 7 for Windows was just around the corner...

I really wish we could give you that kind of assurance, but if you've been a 1Password user for a while then you'll already know that we don't tend to pre-announce new releases until they're essentially already set to go. 1Password 7 is on the horizon, and by that I mean, the visible horizon, not "someday, maybe." I wish I had something more specific for you, but we simply don't have a date-certain at this time.

...and I would not be forced into a subscription plan that does nothing more than charge me repeatedly for things I already have access to via my one time purchases.

We don't "force anyone into a subscription"; in fact, in a recent blog post, we committed to supporting both local vaults and standalone licensing for 1Password 7. When 1Password 7 is released, it will be available as a standalone license option to purchase. That said, we believe a 1password.com membership is by far the best way to use 1Password for the vast majority of users. The Microsoft Edge advantage is not nearly the only advantage of a 1password.com account.

The cost difference between a 1password.com membership and buying standalone licenses will vary considerably depending on what kind of account you have (Individual or 1Password Families), whether you pay annually or monthly, and how many licenses you need to purchase (which in turn is based on how many platforms you want to use 1Password on). One user may wind up saving some money via standalone purchase if they use 1Password on only one platform, where another may save money if they're a 1Password Families member who is part of a couple who has two children, all using 1Password on both Mac and Windows, as well as Android and iOS.

In the end, it's up to each user to figure out for him or herself whether we've delivered value worth purchasing any new release of 1Password, and of course it's up to us to demonstrate that 1Password, in any form, IS worth what we charge. Thanks again for the questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.