To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Cannot create new vaults on Mac OS X

Options
ken_sumo
ken_sumo
Community Member

When I try to create a new vault in app, I get the following error:

Failed to create vault.
Unsupported JWK algorithm RSA-OAEP-256

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Failed to create vault. Unsupported JWK algorithm RSA-OAEP-256

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ken_sumo! Sorry for the trouble. The error message you're seeing is a function of you having created your account waaaaay back in the very beginning, when Safari lacked the WebCrypto to perform necessary encryption chores. That was solved before too long, but the old accounts still use that older cipher which Safari lacked.

At this point, you have two choices: upgrade from 10.12.6 to High Sierra (which has a fix for this), or - if you're unwilling to do that - use Chrome instead.

• ken_sumo
    ken_sumo
    Community Member
    Options

I was not using ANY browser. I was using the app. Does your comment still apply?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ken_sumo - more or less, yes -- if you're unable or unwilling to upgrade to macOS 10.13, then creating a new account and transferring your data will likely be the way to solve this.

• @ken_sumo : you can sign in to your account using Chrome, and create a new vault that way.

Our apps load a mini browser (webview) when creating a new vault. That webview is based on the version of Safari that's on the system (or at least somewhat related to that). Only macOS 10.13 or above has a version of Safari/WebKit that's new enough to work with those old accounts (our own AgileBits account included).

Rick

This discussion has been closed.