1Password 4 is dysfunctional on Windows 10 (long delays at vault open / startup)

I have been using 1Password since it was in early beta many, many years ago. I use it on several macOS and a few more iOS devices. I have no desire for a membership account given my workflow and existing cloud infrastructure.

Unfortunately I would still like to use 1Password on Windows 10. Obviously 6 is not an option and so I need to figure out what is going on with version 4 having this nightmare open delay. It sees to take roughly 2-4 minutes to open (I've not timed it as I've been so frustrated and Windows is not a priority for me). Is there a solution currently for this? A config change I can make? Anything?

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

Try copying all of your data to a safe place. Uninstall 1Password on Windows 10, restart your computer and then re-install 1Password 4.

• @ylluminate: A few things can cause 1Password 4 to be a bit slower. Most common is a larger vault. If you have a bigger vault, splitting it up may help. Another is using the opvault format. 1Password 4 wasn’t optimized for opvault and generally performs a bit better with AgileKeychain. Both of these will see significant improvement come 1Password 7. Also, choosing Help -> Advanced > Tune 1Password for max performance can often speed things up. If none of the above applies or works for you, let us know and we can take a closer look. :chuffed:

• ylluminate
    ylluminate
    Community Member

Unfortunately I've tried this on a fresh install of Windows 10 1709 as well and it is identical behavior. I went ahead and tried it on another fresh install after that and again, identical behavior.

@bundtkate what's the process of converting everything back over to .agilekeychain from .opvault after I'm already on .opvault on Dropbox? I'd need to convert all of my various macOS and iOS devices over as well... Sounds a bit messy...

Also, @bundtkate is version 7 on Windows going to support using Dropbox, etc. vs being locked into the AgileBits' new sync mechanism? I just am not willing to subscribe to another option at this point...

I did try the "Tune 1Password for max performance" but it still takes about a minute to open. Of course that's a LOT better than 5+ minutes, but still pretty rough to wait that long when you're needing things quickly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ylluminate: We haven't announced many details about 1Password, as it isn't ready yet, but it will support local vaults and have a "standalone" purchase option.

Regarding performance, that's about what I'd expect with OPVault. It's a bit slower for me, as it's really past time I buy a new computer. The new app, built on the latest tools from Microsoft, has huge performance benefits, which is why we've taken the time to build it from scratch this way.

Converting between vault formats is actually incredibly easy, especially if you're also using 1Password for Mac. If you disable sync on all your devices, disable OPVault in 1Password for Mac (Help > Tools), then setup sync again there, let Dropbox finish, and setup the rest of your devices to use that same new AgileKeychain.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.