Move multiple individual accts into a Family Plan?

kenwsmith
kenwsmith
Community Member

Hi,

I have an individual account and use it on my iMac as well as all my iOS devices via Dropbox. My wife uses a separate iOS account. So does my son in college who recently had to restore his iPhone and lost everything. I am considering moving us all into a Family Plan. I gather each person could have their individual private unshared vault and we could also share common logons like Netflix ... right?

How to move each person’s individual stuff into the Family Plan? What will happen to the Dropbox vault? Is it still needed? Is there a ‘cloud’ element to the Family Plan? If so where? How do backups work for the group as well as individuals? Is there any upgrade of the various individual licenses we now have or do we lose all that and start again?

TIA, Ken Smith

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kenwsmith: Thanks for getting in touch! It isn't possible to directly merge separate accounts into a 1Password Families plan, but it's easy to copy the data over once each of you accept the invitation from the family Organizer to setup your accounts under the new plan.

I have an individual account and use it on my iMac as well as all my iOS devices via Dropbox. My wife uses a separate iOS account. So does my son in college who recently had to restore his iPhone and lost everything. I am considering moving us all into a Family Plan. I gather each person could have their individual private unshared vault and we could also share common logons like Netflix ... right?

Exactly. The family Organizer will need to setup the 1Password Families plan and invite everyone else.

If you plan on being the family Organizer, you can convert your existing account to a 1Password Families plan first by clicking on Invite People on the right side when you're logged into your account at 1Password.com. That will take you thought setting up the new plan.

https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/

How to move each person’s individual stuff into the Family Plan?

Each person setting up a new account under the family plan can setup their account in the app where they have their data:

https://support.1password.com/add-account/

And then move the items to the Private vault in their account:

https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/

If their data is currently in a local vault (not a 1Password.com account), they should be promoted automatically to do this when they add their account.

What will happen to the Dropbox vault? Is it still needed?

It should be removed from the app, but it will still remain in Dropbox in case it is needed again.

Is there a ‘cloud’ element to the Family Plan? If so where?

1Password.com is our server which hosts encrypted data for members, so that all they need to do is sign into their account on each device to access it — no sync setup or license management required.

How do backups work for the group as well as individuals?

1Password.com automatically backs up the encrypted data offsite, so it won't be lost if your devices are. And item history also allows you to go back to revert an edit if needed.

Is there any upgrade of the various individual licenses we now have or do we lose all that and start again?

You don't lose anything; each family member will have access to all of the apps as part of their account. But definitely shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here so we can help you make the transition. Cheers! :)

• kenwsmith
    kenwsmith
    Community Member

Hi and thanks for the clarifications. At the end by “lose everything” I was referring to the individual licenses we now have and have paid for. I wanted to know if we get any upgrade credit from these towards, say, the cost of the first year of the Family Plan?

Also about the privacy of each family member’s private vault ... I read another thread about the family organizer being able to go in and modify who can access each private vault, effectively overriding the privacy. Is that correct? So I guess we just have to trust each other ... is that the logic behind this admin feature?

And the Dropbox vault ... you say just leave it ... but it will then just be an old copy of my individual account and no longer kept up to date with the Family Plan content .. is that correct?

Ken

• Ken,

At the end by “lose everything” I was referring to the individual licenses we now have and have paid for. I wanted to know if we get any upgrade credit from these towards, say, the cost of the first year of the Family Plan?

If you'd like to discuss please send our sales team an email to sales@1password.com with copies of any receipts that you have, and they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Also about the privacy of each family member’s private vault ... I read another thread about the family organizer being able to go in and modify who can access each private vault, effectively overriding the privacy. Is that correct? So I guess we just have to trust each other ... is that the logic behind this admin feature?

No one, even Family Organizers, ever has access to another person's Private / Personal vault. The only time that would happen would be if someone opted to share their credentials with another person.

And the Dropbox vault ... you say just leave it ... but it will then just be an old copy of my individual account and no longer kept up to date with the Family Plan content .. is that correct?

Correct.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.