Upgraded macbook yesterday to High Sierra, now 1password is "read only"

dkimbrel
dkimbrel
Community Member

After installing OS High Sierra, my Chrome extension button stopped working. I tried updating the extension, and now it displays "read only" and indicates I need to purchase a license??

1Password Version: 5.3.1
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password is "read only" after upgrading macbook to High Sierra

Comments

• @dkimbrel,

If you had previously purchased directly from us then you can't install 1Password from the Mac App Store. You will need to download and install directly from https://1password.com/downloads in order to use your prior license. The Mac App Store release is not able to recognize licenses purchased directly from us due to App Store rules.

Rudy

• dkimbrel
    dkimbrel
    Community Member

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the easy fix and fast response!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're most welcome, @dkimbrel, on behalf of fast response Rudy. :chuffed:

• nicolasguilhot
    nicolasguilhot
    Community Member

Kind of the same here, and I can't find any answer on the forum from the multiple threads on approaching subject. On a new MacBook Pro with a session restored via TimeMachine, 1Password (6.8.3, bought on the AppStore) is now read-only. Very, very, very disturbing for such a useful software.

• nicolasguilhot
    nicolasguilhot
    Community Member

Kind of the same problem here. After migrating from a TimeMachine backup to a new MacBook Pro, 1Password (6.8.3, purchased on the Mac App Store) is read-only. I can't find any answer on the forum, thought there is multiple threads started on approaching problem. It is very, very annoying for such a useful software. I hope there is nothing related to the move toward subscription model...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nicolasguilhot: If you purchased through the App Store but it isn't recognizing your purchase, there isn't anything we can do about that, as it's owned and operated solely by Apple.

However, be sure to check your records as you'll have an email receipt regardless of where you purchased it. If you in fact purchased it from the AgileBits Store, that will include instructions to install it from there and register the app. And if you purchased through Apple, that will show you the Apple ID you used, so you can sign into that and install 1Password from your App Store purchase history so it will remove the trial restrictions and you don't have to pay again.

Failing that, while you'd need to contact Apple for assistance if there's a problem with your Apple ID and purchase history, if you'll shoot us an email with your Mac App Store receipt at support@1password.com, we'll be happy to use it to generate an AgileBits Store license for you instead. Just post the Support ID you receive here so we can get back to you more quickly. Cheers! :)

• nicolasguilhot
    nicolasguilhot
    Community Member

First of all, sorry for the double posts, there was issues with the forum and/or my web-browser, and though I was connected, I couldn't see the answers to the previous posts on the subject.

Thanks for your answer. I have solved the issue by connecting to the AppStore with my personal account. The install was on my wife's computer, and she used family-sharing for installing it. Could it be the reason of the issue? The download link doesn't mention that 1Password is not compatible with family-sharing.

• @nicolasguilhot,

If you purchased the standalone in app purchase then you are correct. In App Purchases are not family sharable. Unfortunately since we went from a paid app to a free + IAP app we can't remove the tag in the App Store that indicates Family Sharing until we ship 1Password 7.

Rudy

• nicolasguilhot
    nicolasguilhot
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation. And for the reactivity, which is going to count when I'll ask one more time if I'm ready for jumping in the subscription model for 1Password!

Nicolas

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nicolasguilhot - on behalf of rudy, you're quite welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.