Is the password for the 1Password Dropbox sync different from the Dropbox master pw?

mts0987
mts0987
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for years with Dropbox on my Windows PC and iOS devices. It has been chugging along without any problems, and I honestly don't recall the steps I followed to get it set up. I am now trying to add my wife's new iPad Pro, and the sync to Dropbox is asking for "the password for 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox". I have entered the master password for my Dropbox (several times) and it is saying the password is incorrect. I am 100% certain that I am entering the correct master Dropbox password. The only thing I can think of is that there is a different password for this specific file, but I'm not a power Dropbox user and I don't see anything telling me this is the case, and I don't see any way to recover a file-level password. So, the questions: (1) Is this password that I'm supposed to enter different from the master Dropbox password? (2) If so, how do I recover or reset this password? (3) If not, why is 1P rejecting the Dropbox password?

Thanks,
Mike

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Dropbox sync password

Comments

• Hi Mike!

This is asking for the Master Password for 1Password, not for Dropbox.

Please note however that we do not generally recommend using Dropbox to share 1Password data. If you’d like to share 1Password data with your wife I’d highly encourage you to take a look at our 1Password Families offering, which is a first party service. One of the primary motivators for building it was the inflexibility and unreliability 3rd party sync providers were able to offer especially when it came to sharing 1Password data.

Families - 1Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

• mts0987
    mts0987
    Community Member

Thank you for the exceptionally fast response, Ben!

That worked. I feel bad that I didn't try that before posting my question. However, I think the reason I didn't try that is because I was already authenticated within the app, so I think in my subconscious mind I assumed if I was authenticated in the app, the password the app was asking for had to be something else, like the Dropbox password. Regardless, my wife's iPad now has our passwords.

I will look into 1Password Families. Thanks for the tip.

Mike

• You’re very welcome Mike. If there is anything else we can help with in the future please feel free to reach out. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.