1P will no longer recognize my password that I have been using since day one.

LarryBro
LarryBro
Community Member

I have an iPad Air 2 running IOS 11.2.1 and an iPhone 6 running the same IOS. I activate 1P (ver 7.0.4) via touch ID on both devices. Approximately six weeks ago 1P decided it wanted me to enter my password instead of using the Touch ID opening feature. So I dutifully entered the 1P password and it didn’t recognize it. I proceeded to enter it a few more times and nothing.

My next move was to reboot my iPad. It still didn’t recognize my password. I also have 1P on my Mac (late 2015 running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 with 1P ver 6.8.5). I fired it up putting in the same password and low and behold 1P worked perfectly using the same password that it was turning down on my iPad.

I decided to delete 1P off of my iPad and start over. I reloaded 1P onto my iPad. It asked me if I’m already a 1Pass user and I choose Dropbox, which I have used with 1P from the beginning. 1P then asks me to connect an account to start syncing to my Dropbox account. Using touch ID I open Dropbox. The next screen states that 1P wants access to the files and folders to my Dropbox, which I allow. It finds the 1Password.agilekeychain. In the next window it then asks for the Master Password for my Dropbox vault, which I enter and it does not recognize it. I decide to go to the Dropbox website and enter my password and it works perfectly. I have full access to all my files and can see the 1P files.

This same scenario has happened at least a couple of times before this and I went through the same procedure as above but the outcome was different. When it asked for my Dropbox master password, after reloading 1P, it recognized it. At that point it worked perfectly. Then, you guessed it, it happened again. Went through the same thing, and as described previously it again worked!

All of the above goes for both my iPhone and iPad. I have no idea what’s going on. I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

To muddy the waters a little more my wife has an iPhone 6 and an iPad Mini 4 both are running IOS 11.2.1. She has 1P using the same passwords as me. Everything is the same. Same passwords and same Dropbox. She too uses Touch ID to access 1Pass. 1Pass has not asked for her to enter her password in months. Everything is working just fine for her.

This is a great app that I have learned to appreciate more and more through the years but it now has let me down. Help!

Thanks Larry

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 11.2.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

My next move was to reboot my iPad. It still didn’t recognize my password. I also have 1P on my Mac (late 2015 running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 with 1P ver 6.8.5). I fired it up putting in the same password and low and behold 1P worked perfectly using the same password that it was turning down on my iPad.

@LarryBro: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You seem to be assuming that the same Master Password will work everywhere, but that isn't necessarily the case. The Master Password to unlock the app will be the one for the first vault/account you've setup in it. So if you have set things up differently on different devices, there's a good chance you'll have different Master Passwords on each as well.

In the next window it then asks for the Master Password for my Dropbox vault, which I enter and it does not recognize it. I decide to go to the Dropbox website and enter my password and it works perfectly. I have full access to all my files and can see the 1P files.

It sounds to me like you're trying to enter your Dropbox password to unlock the 1Password vault. Unless you've really used the same password both for your Dropbox login credentials and that vault's Master Password (which I wouldn't recommend), they won't be interchangeable like that. The things I've emphasized in bold are almost certainly not going to be using the same password.

You mentioned logging into Dropbox.com. What are the paths to the vaults you have saved there? It sounds like there may be more than one, possibly in different folders with different filenames, which would explain the confusion with different Master Passwords. Let me know what you find!

• LarryBro
    LarryBro
    Community Member

I have two different passwords. One password for the 1Password vault and a different one for the Dropbox master password. My wife and I share the same password for the 1Password vault. She has no trouble getting into the 1Password vault

It's the 1Password vault password that decided not to work for me originally. After reinstalling 1Password and going through the setup I was at the point where 1Password asks for the "Dropbox Master Password" that it failed to recognize that it failed to recognize the Dropbox master password. Once again I am assuming the Dropbox master password is the same one I use to log into Dropbox from the web when not using 1Password.

Here is a screen shot of my Dropbox. Nothing has changed.

I hope this makes it more clear.

Thanks again for your help.

• @LarryBro

Dropbox doesn’t use the term Master Password, as far as I’m aware, and we do not use that term in association with Dropbox from within 1Password. If 1Password is asking you for a Master Password it is asking for the 1Password Master Password for the vault in question, not your Dropbox password.

Does that help?

Please let us know.

Ben

• LarryBro
    LarryBro
    Community Member

Ben,

You solved my problem.

Thank you,

Larry

• Excellent. Thanks for the update Larry. Glad to hear that helped. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.