Incorrect discount localisation text for UK pricing

Options
razord
razord
Community Member

In the UK, subscriptions via in-app purchases are £3.49 a month, or £34.99 a year.

For the yearly price, it states this is a 25% saving if you pay yearly, but it's actually only about 16.5% discount.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@razord: Hmm. That's a tough one. 25% doesn't sound right to me either, but that's me not knowing quite how things work in the UK. We only get 20% in the US. ;)

Is this maybe the App Store taking VAT into consideration? In the US tax is never factored into pricing, only applied at the time of sale. To add further confusion, billing through 1Password.com is done through USD exclusively, so even in the UK, though I think you'll be paying VAT (based on your billing address), that will be reflected in your invoice (the website in general, where pricing is shown, doesn't know where it will be billed, and not all areas charge tax on this kind of purchase at all). I'll also ask some of our British folks if they have a better handle on this. :)

• razord
    razord
    Community Member
    Options

Yeh, in the UK prices all include tax, but I think this is just a UK App store pricing tiers issue as it’s unlikely you pick the prices for each region and just let the App Store handle that? So this might affect different regions as well (and have a different discount depending on apples tiers)

I just assumed that App Store pricing is more expensive than through 1password billing so 25% was/is correct for American pricing, but that piece of text doesn’t change for different billing currencies.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

Yeh, in the UK prices all include tax, but I think this is just a UK App store pricing tiers issue as it’s unlikely you pick the prices for each region and just let the App Store handle that? So this might affect different regions as well (and have a different discount depending on apples tiers)

@razord: Thanks for that! I think you might be right. I mean, you're definitely right that it's just pricing tiers in the App Store, but I think you're on to something with that mixing up our percentages a bit. Maybe we need some way to do a calculation in the app for each region or something. Definitely a bit confusing...

I just assumed that App Store pricing is more expensive than through 1password billing so 25% was/is correct for American pricing, but that piece of text doesn’t change for different billing currencies.

The App Store pricing is generally less than a pound/dollar more expensive just because only full increments above .99 are allowed.

Anyway, should be some folks from that side of the pond showing up here shortly who can look into it more deeply and come up with something definitive. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, as, either way, it just isn't intuitive. :blush:

ref: OPI-4373

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@razord: Indeed, the discount percentage is not being calculated, so it ends up being incorrect in some situations where the App Store is adding VAT (it isn't in all regions). We're going to see if we can calculate this in 1Password, or at the very least change things there to make it clearer. Thank you again for bringing this up! :)

This discussion has been closed.