To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Emergency Kit confusion

Comments

• suhas_rd
    suhas_rd
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

This is extremely difficult to use app. After paying money, I was presented with Emergency kit which I did not download at the time as I was told that "DON'T WORRY, WE WILL EMAIL YOU THIS THING" when I tried signing up, it started asking me this stupid secret key nonsense. I went to my email to fetch this crap and when I did, It asked me for secrete key for getting secrete key. Seriously flawed app.

• roustem
    edited December 2017

I am sorry about the trouble with the Emergency Kit, @suhas_rd. The message could not have said "WE WILL EMAIL IT" because the secret key is generated and stored on your computer and under no circumstances it should be sent to our servers.

When we designed the secret key, we knew that it is going to be a challenge because it is one more thing people had to take care of in addition to the master password. However, we wanted to make sure that your data stored in 1Password is absolutely safe and can only be decrypted by you. This is what the secret key provides, it adds extra 128 bits of entropy to the encryption strength and makes the encrypted data uncrackable.

We went through several iterations of the Emergency Kit design and it is obvious that we still have work to do to make sure it is less painful for you.

• I am attaching the screenshots of the Emergency Kit messages that we are currently showing. Perhaps you could tell us how this could be done better:

• suhas_rd
    suhas_rd
    Community Member

I did all this on iPhone. I was never given option of saving this. Am I missing something? If not, what's the best way to re-generate this thing?

• I tried to sign up on iPhone. It shows the same set of screens but it is certainly more awkward with mobile Safari.

If you do not have any data stored in 1Password then we could mark the account deleted and you will be able to start again.

Sorry about the trouble!

• Another option is to use mobile Safari to sign into the account. The secret key is stored in the browser's local storage and if you still remember the password then you will be able to sign-in and copy the secret key.

This discussion has been closed.