Can sync from OS X App to Android but not Android to OSX App

sethmad
sethmad
Community Member

I have a new 1Password family membership set up on my Mac and my Android device. On the Mac I'm running OS X 10.12.6 and 1password 6.8.5. My Samsung Galaxy S8 is running Android 7.0 and 1password 6.7.

All the passwords I create in the 1password on my app my Mac sync to my Android device exactly as expected. However, any passwords I create on my Android device show up in my Chrome extension but not in my OS X app.

I've tested this both with logins and credit cards. I create new passwords on the Android device. They immediately show up in the Chrome extension on my Mac. I wait to see if they appear in the app. They do not. I try using the Sync option on Android, and still nothing. I quit and restart the OS X app, and nothing. I then create a password in the OS X app, and it immediately appears in the Android device.

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Membership

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

All the passwords I create in the 1password on my app my Mac sync to my Android device exactly as expected. However, any passwords I create on my Android device show up in my Chrome extension but not in my OS X app.

@sethmad: Hmm. Well that's baffling. It sounds like maybe you have different versions of 1Password on the Mac, or something is incompatible there. Can you tell be the macOS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you have installed?

• sethmad
    sethmad
    Community Member

@brenty

MacOS 10.12.6
    1Password 6 6.85 (685004)
    Chrome 63.0.3239.108 with 1Password X 1.3.0

Samsung Galaxy S8
    Android 7.0
    1password 6.7

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sethmad: Aha! You haven't confirmed this, but can you check something for me? Do you have a Primary vault in the app on any of those devices? Switch from All Vaults and tell me what you see: https://support.1password.com/all-vaults/

Since you're using 1Password X in Chrome, it sounds like you're using a 1Password.com account there at least since that's how it works. But if you have a local vault, like Primary, in the apps, that will not be in any way associated with your 1Password.com account, which is why you'll have data syncing between them. 1Password X also lives only in the browser, so it does not share data or functionality directly with the desktop app.

If you sign into the 1Password.com website in your browser, do you see all of your data there?

https://my.1password.com/vaults/all

Let me know what you find!

• sethmad
    sethmad
    Community Member

@brenty

I see all of the data when I sign in to 1password.com.

I have two vaults because I have a family plan. One is private and one is shared. Those vaults show up in both Android and OS X apps and on 1password.com.

A passwords that was missing from the OS X app did show up there while I was checking the above, but I'm not sure when.

Honestly, most of the rest of your message I didn't understand. For example, I don't know what a local vault is.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@sethmad: Not a problem. It's good news that all of your data is already in your 1Password.com account. We can work out the rest from there. :)

The only issue here is whether you want to use[1Password X, which is a lightweight version of 1Password that runs only within Chrome:

Get to know 1Password X

Or use the native 1Password app and its extension (which works in many browsers):

1Password: Get the apps

I enjoy the more advanced features of the 1Password native + extension in many cases, especially when doing work, but in cases where I can't or don't want to install the full app 1Password X is really convenient. All of this works with a 1Password.com account.

Local vaults (for example, Primary), on the other hand, are what we all used for the decade before 1Password.com memberships existed. They're stored locally on your device unless you use an advanced sync method like Dropbox, iCloud, etc. to sync it to other devices as well. This needs to be setup on each device.

1Password.com accounts don't work that way though, as the encrypted data is all hosted on the server, so all you need to do to access it is sign into your account in the app or browser:

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

So, if you already have a 1Password.com membership and have all your data stored in your account there, it's best to make sure that you setup the apps with only your account, and that you do not have local vaults there (such as Primary), since those will not sync with your account.

Otherwise, it sounds like you should be all set since 1Password was able to retrieve your updated data, but be sure to let me know if you need help setting anything up, or if you have any questions at all. :)

• sethmad
    sethmad
    Community Member

@brenty

Thanks for your help, especially for explaining the difference between 1PasswordX and the standard browser extension, which I didn't understand.

I uninstalled/reinstalled the OSX app to make sure it was only using the data from my 1Password.com account, and everything seems to be working now.

BTW, I had installed 1PasswordX when I first downloaded all the apps because on the 1Password.com Get the Apps page the 1PasswordX link appeared to me to be the standard Chrome extension. Note the attached screenshot from the POV of a new 1Password user using Chrome who doesn't know that there are two different Chrome extensions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sethmad: You're very welcome! I'm glad that helped. Sorry for the confusion there. We'll see if we can make things clearer. Technically, 1Password X may be all a person needs if they use Chrome full time. But for power users especially, our native apps offer some great advanced features which aren't possible within the browser alone. Thanks for your feedback on this!

This discussion has been closed.